1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly My Internet Speeds Have Slowed Significantly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xTimmy412x, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xTimmy412x

xTimmy412x Thread Starter

long story short out of no where a few days ago my internet speed basically cut in half, Iam wired into my router, I’ve had my isp out they have changed my router to be on the safe side, when I connect to my WiFi from my phone and run a speed test I get great speeds, when I run speed tests from my laptop wired to my router my speeds are horrible, a few days ago speed where fine, I thought maybe it was my network card so I went out and bought a usb 3.0 to Ethernet adapter that supports up to 1 gig even after the drivers installed and hooked up that way I get the same speeds, it’s almost like windows 10 or something is limiting my speeds on my laptop I’ve tried just about everything from searches on the web and still can’t get my speeds up even useing the adapter! Again it’s been determined it’s not my isp, anyone have any ideas like I’ve stated I’ve tried a lot of the different fixes the internet recommended (I changed settings when I found they didn’t fix the problem) help please!!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi xTimmy412x, and welcome to TSG.

Between the nondescript subject line, no information on the brand and exact model number of your computer, and lack of information on exactly what you have already tried to correct the problem, I doubt anyone here will even know what to suggest fix your problem.

3. xTimmy412x

Yea thanks I’ll delete and look for help else where, Come on a bit strong much bud? A simple question would of got every single answer, I was speaking non descriptive, I thought I explained roughly quite well the GENERAL problem, tech savvy Iam not or else I wouldn’t have came here! Thanks for the warm welcome!!

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Don't go away yet. Run the tech support guy system info utility and paste the output into your next reply. That will give us some info on your system: https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Windows 10 require a bit of free space on drive C to work properly or else strange problems with uninformative errors will result. The sysinfo.exe will tell us what space is left on each drive. In the mean time, you can try running Start > Administrative Tools > Disk Cleanup.

If, you can remember what you have tried to do to fix your problem, it will help us a lot by not having us re-suggest the same things again, by each helper, thus wasting your precious time. Links to the sites will help.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. xTimmy412x

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD E1-6010 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 48 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3544 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R2 Graphics, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (374 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Lancer 5B2
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

again as i stated above 2 days ago speeds where fine, isp came out checked everything even replaced my router to be on the safe side, i went out and bought a usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter that supports up to one gig thinking possible where i plug my ethernet cable into my laptop was bad installed driver that came with the adapter and yet still i get same speeds with the adapter in fact the speeds are a litte slower with the adapter its almost as if something on the pc all of a sudden is limiting my access what could possibly casue this out of the blue, when it was fine one mintue then boom the next its slow? ran the disk clean up as well as you suggested

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go start Task Manager. On the Processes tab, tell us what CPU % is showing above the CPU column.

Did you install any new applications over the past few days?

7. xTimmy412x

Nope no new programs at all! When I first opened task manager with nothing else open it shot up to 99% on cpu then it jumps down to about 5% it jumps around a bit but doesn’t go much over about 25ish percent

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Update > View Update History. Were any updates installed within these past few days?

9. xTimmy412x

It says on the 11th 2 of the exact same windows malicious software removal tool x64 was installed!

10. xTimmy412x

Opening it up it states also there was a few windows updates on the 11th as well like a total of 6 updates

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

You can try uninstalling the updates one by one and see if things improve.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice