1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly shut down..Will not power up-gtwy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jjzepplin, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjzepplin

jjzepplin Thread Starter

So I'm new here and quite the beginner. I hope I don't offend anyone with how dum I am.
    Not sure where to put this to get the best results so go ahead and move it!
    To the point, I have a gateway mx6124 and cannot afford anything new.
    I am surfing away and it shuts down. Made that noise like when you hold the power button down to shut off manually.
    I go to turn it back on and nothing. No charging lights nada.
    I tried to pull the battery and the charger and then hold the power button down for thirty seconds but nothing.
    Any ideas folks?
    Anything would be appreciated!

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

I'm guessing the hard drive in that Gateway MX6124 laptop has died, but it may be some other hardware issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. jjzepplin

jjzepplin Thread Starter

It did keep giving some message about backing up my data. Cannot remember exactly but it kept on running for a long time. Something about eminent failure. Did not have anything in there that needed backing up as I only used it to surf the web. Still think it was the hard drive?

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

I'm betting it's the hard drive.

The best way to find out for sure though is to have a reliable computer technician check that laptop.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. sixpack

sixpack

From what you're saying the first warning was "no charging lite" tells me your charger is dead, second warning " you need to save your data" tells me that your battery is about to die. All this says is there's no power, if you plug your charger into the laptop and the charging lite fails to come on, you either have a bad connection at the laptop end or the charger is bad which means the battery is probable is dead also. If the power was good the unit would at least go thru the bios and "post" a bad hard drive. . . last possible problem would be the power supply in the laptop.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063837