1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly sluggish internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by p3rsonman, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p3rsonman

p3rsonman Thread Starter

For the past few days, I've been having incredibly slow download speeds on my Vista based desktop. When running a speed test, I get results anywhere from 500-3000 kbps DL speed, and my upload remains normal. My usual download speed should be around 4900-5000 kbps since I'm using cable internet. I'm not sure what started this, but it's really inconvenient. I tried to see if it was my router, but both my Xbox and Laptop can download perfectly fine. I then tried hardwiring the modem directly into the computer, and it got even worse(?). I figured it might be malware or someting, so I ran a few virus scans with no success. My next solution was to try a system restore, but it failed due to "some unknown reason". I'm really stumped here.

Does anyone have some advice on how I can try to pinpoint the problem here? I'm sure it's not my router, and I'd rather not have to waste an hour trying to call my ISP for support, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. p3rsonman

p3rsonman Thread Starter

Bump, anyone?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try Safe Mode with Networking to see if the speed returns to normal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice