1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly Unable to Connect To My Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Shadefyre, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadefyre

Shadefyre Thread Starter

Hey folks,

As of yesterday, I have not been able to get my wireless card on my Windows 7 (x64) desktop to work. When it normally gives me connectivity issues, I simply do a quick uninstall/reinstall and it worked fine. However, after uninstalling it last night I could not get it to install correctly. I tried to set it up using the installation process cd it came with, however that never got past the "Detecting USB Card..." stage, as even with the card plugged in to various ports. To compound the problem, even after telling Windows to uninstall the card and remove the drivers, it would instantly reinstall the card's drivers when I plugged it in, despite still not showing up on the installer.

The wireless card (a Cisco AE2500) would show up in device manager, and in network adapters it would show up but was disabled, and enabling wouldn't work, as in it would stay disabled. Running a troubleshoot on it just came up with "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection Adapter."

Not sure if it was a problem with the card or something worse, I popped across to Bestbuy and grabbed anther card to see if it would work (a D-Link N300). I ran the installer for that, plugged in the new card, it detected and installed the drivers. But, I still can't connect to my home network as I just get "No connections are available" and still get the "might be a problem with the driver" bit. However the card does at least appear as enabled in networking. I'm not sure what to try now. I know it's not the router, because the rest of my connections are working, including the laptop I'm writing this from.

I should add that even when the wireless card is connected and "installed" as well as enabled, it doesn't show up at all in ipconfig.

2. Shadefyre

Shadefyre Thread Starter

Now that my CHKDSK is done, here's the sysinfo:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8159 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 149997 MB, Free - 56808 MB; F: Total - 803860 MB, Free - 16559 MB; G: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 60537 MB; H: Total - 1048575 MB, Free - 27582 MB; I: Total - 476929 MB, Free - 32932 MB; J: Total - 859149 MB, Free - 612033 MB; K: Total - 2861575 MB, Free - 2024222 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice