1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggest an open-source trouble ticket system?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Soundy, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Started playing around with osTicket (www.osticket.com) that came as a "package" on my Synology DiskStation, and finding it's a nice system, but lacking some features I need. Done a bit of googling for others, but finding a lot of them use Perl, which my DS doesn't support... a lot of links I've found for others are pretty old (posts on other forums from 2006 and 2008, for example) and many either don't exist anymore, or are no longer being developed.

Can anyone suggest anything that's written in PHP, ideally PHP5?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Like I already said: I've tried googling for it... most of what comes up is old abandonware.

Does anyone have any USEFUL suggestions?

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Sorry see you tried that,Ill keep looking.
    This one is free if you want to leave the footer at the bottom...
    http://www.maiansupport.com/licence.html
    Not open source though.

Here is a list of open source programs.
    http://www.opensourcehelpdesklist.com/
    Of course with open source,if you know the code you can add your own.

Here is a response on stackoverflow to a similar question.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/114007/free-support-ticket-software

This looks interesting.............
    http://www.otrs.com/en/

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Already looked at OTRS... there was something about it that didn't work for me, don't recall what.

Tried Spiceworks before, won't do in this case as it runs on Windows.

Have both osTicket and Hesk on the go right now, but both are missing features, and my coding skills aren't up to modifying them.

Maian looks promising though, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

I went through that opensourcehelpdesklist (that's where I found Hesk) and it has the same problem as Google: it's an old list and a lot of stuff on it abandonware.

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

OTRS looked the most promising as it had add on extensions.
    You aren't possibly using a content management system like joomla
    for your site are you?
    Usually those types of web site systems have extensions for just about everything.

8. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Not using any sort of CMS, no... really, I've been bugging this (small) company for years to implement some sort of integrated sales/CRM/support system... now they're pestering me about how hard it is to keep track of service issues that are spread over many days, so since my Synology included osTicket, I decided to try playing with that, just to at least get everyone started on using some sort of ticketing system... but it's lacking a few things, so I've been looking for something else that I can install easily. Maian looks nice but needs a buttload of other PHP extensions to support it.

9. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Looking at OTRS, looks like it requires Perl as well...

10. Squashman

You are not being very specific about your needs and requirements.

11. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

How specific do you want? I stated right off the top that it needs to run on my Linux-based NAS and should use PHP. Beyond that, I don't really know all the requirements I'm after - I'm installing them, testing them, see what will work for me... figuring out as I go what functions I do or don't need, what's missing, etc.

12. Squashman

You never really said you were trying to install it on a Linux based NAS. I didn't even know you could do that with an NAS. You keep saying certain packages don't have features you need but you don't say what these packages are lacking.

13. Sharon78

Sharon78

iKode Helpdesk X is a PHP support ticket system . Check it.

14. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Hmmm, that looks promising... I'll give it a try, thanks!

I did try a search on Sourceforge (in fact, I tried that even before I tried googling), but in the first two pages, I think only three related projects even had downloads - there's a LOT of stuff on there that's either VERY early development (ie. doesn't have anything to download yet), or hasn't even started development... part of why I asked for suggestions here of things people are familiar with.

I said it was on a Synology DiskStation... do I need to spoon-feed you every last detail of the setup?

Hope I didn't leave anything out...

15. Sharon78

Sharon78

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064135