1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggested PCI Slot Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vookster82, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any good suggestion for a slot fan. Ive seena few i like...but buying stuff like this is sooo hard when you dont got the product in front of you.
    Ill probably have to buy about 8 of em too, so thats sorta the reason im asking before buying.

here are some from newegg.com, but what i dont get it that the top rated one has the least ammount of airflow production...:rolleyes:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16835166038,N82E16835119065,N82E16835119066

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Personally I don't like slot fans. They do little to improve air flow and are generally noisy.

3. hammer1

hammer1

Don't like slot fans neither. A proper cleaning of your case fans will supercede anything slot fans can do.

4. vookster82

Yeah, case fan cleaning is a must atleast every 6 moths or so for me. But i just figured a slot fan was a nice easy cheap addition.

5. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I don't like them because they take up precious pci slots

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have installed a few of them and quite frankly I doubt they do anything at all [other than make a lot of noise and vibration] If you do not have a spot in the rear of your case for an exhaust fan, I would consider a new case.

7. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Yes, ship the Fan. I cool my FX-5500 and X-fi cards by letting a little air in by removing the 2 metal slats in beteween the cards so the FX video card fan can draw air in and I don't have my side panel on either. I clean it all about once a month or so..

http://www.pixpond.com/1/2vyzdy.JPG

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have a couple of slot fans I bought several years ago. They're still in the box with my spare fans, they are noisy. :D

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I experimented with them. My opinion is they are garbage.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Now, how about hard drive coolers? My primary HDD is hitting 46*C under load, hotter than my processor actually. :D

Is this a worry? Is there anything CHEAP I can buy to fix this?

11. JohnWill

I doubt I'd get excited about 46C, I have a couple of Maxtors that run in the high 50's. I used to have some 10k RPM SCSI drives that really ran hot, and I actually rigged a fan to blow on them for cooling. Other than that, I figure the hard disk has to "tough it out". :D

12. vookster82

Ok...ill just assume everyone hates me and just wants my computer to blow up :( LOL, just kidding. Yeah i kinda figured they would be a little noisy considering they dont actually go into the PCI slot to secure it, but just float off a slot open with one screw. Ill have to look at my options other than a slot fan. But darn, there so cheap :rolleyes:

"Now, how about hard drive coolers? My primary HDD is hitting 46*C under load, hotter than my processor actually.
    Is this a worry? Is there anything CHEAP I can buy to fix this?"

My buddy swears by this for cooling HD's http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=706428&CatId=495
    I got the same one also, but have yet to put it in since i put my ultra bay freezer in and dropped my HD temps about 8 degrees celcius. It goes into a 5.25" CD / DVD bay. A touch noisy, but considering i went from a Avg of 49 to 41....ill take it..especialyl for when summer goes full blast. Here is the ultra bay freezer http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=633873&sku=ULT30982

Johnwill, isnt high 50's pushing it...atleast cutting some time off the HD's life. B/c i always though that around 60 - 63 C was max for most 7200 rpm drives before they go shortly after

Edit : and since hot air rises...the bay freezer does an excellent job for me and my dimension 8400 case. Also. both items are cheap and come with a 3 yr warranty if you register online with ultra.

13. vookster82

14. JohnWill

The 50's may be pushing it, but drives are cheap. :D

15. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I just took mine out after being in the case for about 6 mths. The noise was driving me nutz.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice