1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions for a LAN network design case study

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bayushihigure, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayushihigure

bayushihigure Thread Starter

I am an IT student and lately we were given a case study about network and designing a LAN solution. I admit I am not a network guru and I appreciate some suggestions on some of the things about the case study. I kinda figured out some of the things but some just are mind boggling to me. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Case Study: Building is 5 levels. The first 3 levels has 5 classrooms including a computer lab. level 4 is a student lounge with 10 computers and a library with 5 computers. Level 5 is the department and administrative offices. There are 16 people in the departments all in all (who needs a PC), an accounts director and a academic director. The computer labs should be equipped with 30 student PCs and 1 tutor PC.
    More Details
    - Each staff member should have their own PC, access to printer, internal email and student database
    - The 10 student lounge computers have access to a paid printer
    - Students and staff who has their own laptop can connect to the internet via wireless service
    - Student computers should not be able to access official printer, internal staff email and student database
    - Staff should be able to share files between departments
    - Network should be secured
    - There is a surveillance camera on each level

Need suggestions on these
    - How many routers, switches, sockets, ISP's and Gigabit NICs do I need? And what kind?
    - Suggestions on the network architecture & topology
    - Servers and their locations
    - Security measures?

I am not trying to make you guys make my assignment for me. I just need some clarifications/suggestion/help with some of the components of the network so please bear with me.

2. sludge3000

sludge3000

Sounds like you are trying to get us to do the assignment for you.

Well you need at least one router for internet and wireless connection. At least 1 ISP to provide the internet. Gigabit NIC's only really depends on the total amount of data tavelling across the network and where. Switches and sockets - You need to be more precise in your description of the layout as 16 PC's all in all for a department does not even cover the 30 students in the computer lab so I have no idea how many PC's in total you are using never mind on each floor. Bascially switches come with a certain number of ports and you will need at least one port for every machine (probably 2/3 for servers) then for interconnects between the switches and you may want some extras for future expansion.

Depends enitrely on the size and layout of the building.
    Could have a switch on each floor or switch and a router depending on if you are using layer 2 or 3 switches, could run the full 3 layer model or have a collapsed distribution/core layer. Maybe not even that if there aren't too many machines.

Again depends on a lot of variables. What is the budget? Could run each service on an individual server if you have space for a data centre/computer room or could just buy a huge VMWare blade server and run everything on that and again would need a building schematic to choose a location if hosted locally. If you don't want to host locally could just purchase cloud based services in which case the location could be the other side of the world.

Depends how secure the network needs to be. You will need at least one firewall then beyond that maybe an IDS/IPS as well as standard security setup on all routers and switches and Group Policy applied to all the machines (assuming you are running a windows domain).
    Don't forget physical security, what's to stop strangers walking in and connecting to your network?

I think you're going to have a lot of reading to do!

3. Rockn

Rockn

How much wll you pay me after you get your first IT job?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/987846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice