Suggestions for an SSD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moabiouz

Currently using a 120Gb OCZ Arc 100. I couldn't say anything about its performance all I know is my PC boots faster, games loads quicker and tranfer rates are much better.

But 120Gb sure is not enough. Looking forward upgrading to a higher capacity and found this

Colorful SL500 320Gb

It is priced at $73.00 I mean it's the cheapest I can find. Gonna make the 120Gb as drive for OS and the 320Gb for games.
Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks !

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't do gaming, but I'd wondering if Gaming Storage needs the speed ??
All my Data storage is in HDDs ... I'm thinking it's the OS that needs the speed.

Attachments

crjdriver

For a ssd, either intel or samsung; both are bulletproof.
Even faster than a regular ssd is the M.2 nvme type drives. I have a samsung M.2 nvme drive in my ryzen system and the speed is unbelievable. Windows loads in approx 5 seconds after POST.

moabiouz

I don't do gaming, but I'd wondering if Gaming Storage needs the speed ??
All my Data storage is in HDDs ... I'm thinking it's the OS that needs the speed.
It has something to do with games loading. Like the resources loads up faster in SSD. It is very noticeable with the battle royal games.

For a ssd, either intel or samsung; both are bulletproof.
Even faster than a regular ssd is the M.2 nvme type drives. I have a samsung M.2 nvme drive in my ryzen system and the speed is unbelievable. Windows loads in approx 5 seconds after POST.
I'm pretty sure it is, but a 320Gb m.2 nvme would sure cost a lot.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I guess it depends on the game. I have an Intel P3608 1.6TB NVMe drive in my gaming box. The weird nature of this SSD is it's really two SSD drives packaged together. I am using Win8.1 and have set up a RAID 0 configuration combining the two drives. My experience thus far is it's a bit quicker loading maps and scenes (as I play campaigns) but nothing earth shattering. Could be the games I'm playing which as of right now are a few years old.

So the message is even though you have the fastest drive out there, it boils down to how the software is coded on if you actually see all of that speed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online