1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions for best way forward please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by robmd, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robmd

robmd Thread Starter

I have a SONY DCR-DVD Camcorder that writes directly to mini-DVDs.

For editing, I bought Pinnacle Studio 9 (recommended), but to date although I can edit with it I have been unable to render and burn a movie to DVD as the computer just hangs, and has to be switched off!!
    I have tried re-installing the prog. to no avail, and have completely uninstalled it from my computer before it does any damage to the OS.

I have read Mulders guide, and it seems the best way forward is to use different progs for different jobs.

The camcorder writes clips directly to DVD as MPEG2 files which can be finalised to DVD Video, and it only connects to the Computer via USB where the only program I have found to be capable of capturing clips is the supplied prog. (ImageMixer), which is a poor editing tool.
    I can copy the finalised movie files directly from the mini-DVD disc via my DVD Player onto the computer, but from there on I need advice!!

1) Is it better to import the MPEG2 files onto my computer and edit all the clips separately, or is it bettter to finalise the clips to a DVD movie in the Camcorder, copy them to my Hard Disk, convert to AVI and then edit the whole movie??

2) What would be the best programs to use for conversion from a DVD Movie to AVI, and for editing. I could try Studio9 again for editing, but if I do and then save it as an AVI or MPEG2 file, what are good programs for converting (and possibly burning) the edited AVI or MPEG2 files to DVD Movie files that can be used in a domestic DVD Player.

3) Can these DVD Movie files then be burned to a DVD by dragging and dropping as a normal data disc (My regular burning software is Easy CD & DVD Creator).

4) How can I tell whether a file is MPEG1 or MPEG2, as the extensions are both mpg?

I have 2 x 40 Gb. Hard Disks in my computer.
    On disk 0, which is formatted FAT32 I have 2 partitions (One for the WinXP, and the other for Program files).
    On disk 1 I also have 2 partitions. One is of 10Gb and formatted to FAT32 which is used for "My Documents" and other files, while the remaining 30Gb is formatted to NTFS and used for editing Movie files.

As a rule, I prefer FAT32 because if necessary I can access it from DOS. I changed the last partition to NTFS to eliminate any problems of file limitations with the Movie files.

Sorry for the long post, but I have been trying for a few months to edit(unsuccessfully) some clips of our grandsons first days into a standalone Movie DVD

All suggestion gratefully accepted!!

2. robmd

robmd Thread Starter

Evening All!

Further to the queries above, if an MPEG file is converted to AVI format then after editing converted to a movie - won't the quality worsen with each conversion??? (I can only import files in MPEG).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice