suggestions for dvd-rom drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angel

I'm not up on DVD technology nor what's good or not. I've checked several sites and have noticed a HUGE price difference between what looks like similar specs. I don't need a combo drive (DVD+CDRW, etc) - just a regular DVD for playing games - I doubt I'd be watching any movies.
Oh, and preferably an external as I already have 4 IDE devices but if it would be cheaper to put in an additional IDE controller card and get an internal drive, that's an option too.

Thanks!

angel

For example, I found <a href="http://www.us.buy.com/retail/computers/product.asp?sku=10297355&loc=449">this</a> on buy.com but that seems awefully inexpensive.

angel

Sorry, one more question! Am I likely to run into probs having a CD, CDRW and a DVD player on the same system? I know I wouldn't technically need the CD drive anymore but I really hate to take it out cause I already have an extra lying around. (Hate to see money lying around going to waste!)

:) Hi. Maybe I'm not up on dvd technology myself, but why even bother at this point if you won't generally use it for movies? I have'nt seen anything on dvd except movies yet.(maybe I don't get out enough?)

angel

Do I need it? Of course not and probably can't afford it. Do I want it? Yes. There are a couple of games I want that have more features in the DVD version.

Thanks!

I've been reading up and it looks like I'm going to need a 'kit' so it includes an MPEG-2 decoder card because I don't think my graphics card has 'built-in hardware assistance for MGEG-2 decompression'.

angel

Ya, in my case, the wanting almost always beats out the needing.

So, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

A good low end unit is TOSHIBA, I have many of them. I would add an additional IDE controller, about $70 and a IDE DVD, about $129, which will be a lot cheaper and more reliable.

angel

Thanks, DanO, I'll check them out.
I'll still need a decoder card, right?

angel

DanO - you don't by chance have any links to the Toshiba DVD-rom drives (preferably a kit and not a combo drive). I checked their website and grabbed a couple model numbers. With those, I searched for prices and the ones I keep finding are listed at about $69 or less so I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

Try WWW.PRICEWATCH.COM

As for a decoder you may or may not need one depending on the game. For movie watching you need one, but some graphic cards have a built-in decoders or you could use software decoding. So you need to do some homework.

angel

Thanks Dan O. I'm finding them much less than the $129 you thought they would be (~$58). Does that sound right?

Max19

Account Disabled
An internal drive will likely be cheaper than an external drive. Why spend extra money so you can leave in a CD-ROM drive that you don't need? That doesn't make any sense. Buy an internal DVD player and put it in the spot your current CD-ROM occupies. Take it out and keep it as a spare.

Max has some good advice, as a DVD plays CD has well. You found a Toshiba DVD-rom drive for $58 that a great price. I would get it.

angel

I might just do that. The reason I didn't want to yank out the cd-rom is because I already have an extra so now I'll have two - what a waste.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online