1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions for File management (with tags?)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dwinches, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwinches

dwinches Thread Starter

Good morning all,

I have been building a library of PDFs, word documents, and pictures in my own personal library of materials for my job and the directory structure of XP if getting pretty cumbersome and hard to find things. I have read that Vista's file management offers some better indexing options for files, but short of upgrading...

--Does anyone know about XP based software that will let you index or tag files with
    keywords?

--What about a portable option to run off a USB drive?

--Or even a decent web-based solution with enough space to hold a good amount of stuff?

Free would be nice, but any suggestions would be helpful, Thanks!

Dave

2. Writenow

Writenow

Information managers, Ultra Recall or MyInfo both store, link and open files and, of course, loads of other stuff. MyInfo has its own tags. Another alternative, TreepadX Enterprise (NOT the freebie Treepad) is very good but crashes all the time on my XP system and support is very poor.

If you don't already have it, you might want to try Xplorer2. It is like Windows Explorer but soooo much more. I've had it for quite a while now and, like you, have large projects but my files are scattered all over. With Xplorer2 I can filter files and save the filter. I "tag" the files that are related to a project with the Author column (using one letter) but you can use any available detail that you want. Then I only need to open Xplorer2 and run the filter to find related files. I THINK filtering is available in the free version but I can't remember for sure now. If not, the purchase price is minimal compared to the info managers.

I'm sure you will get a lot of answers to your question. I will check back to see what other folks have to say. I am always looking for quicker, cleaner, newer solutions.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice