1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions for pdf readers!

Discussion in 'General Security' started by perfume, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perfume

perfume Banned Thread Starter

The Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010 on my PC has " a vulnerability scan". When i moved away from Adobe and installed Foxit Reader, the scan rated it as "highly critical". So, i uninstalled it and boomeranged back to Adobe Reader9( guess that is the latest "free" version). KIS's Vulnerability scan rated Adobe Reader too as "highly critical". So, i went in search of open source, non-proprietary pdf readers. Open Office.Org has one,but two things held me back--1) the size of the download is 142 mb and 2) whether there will be a conflict between MS Office 2007 which i have and the Open Office Org :confused:! Any help is most welcome and highly solicited! Thanks to all!

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Personally, I'm very pleased with the Foxit Reader. Like so much stuff these days, they have a toolbar they want you to download, and a "free" upgrade plan, but you can opt out. Over the past couple of years, I think that only one of the Acrobat Reader's vulnerabilities has affected the Foxit Reader. Foxit Reader is a 6.67 MB download, and the program is very fast. The only compatibility issues I've had have been minor; some of Fiserv's online banking programs don't like it, and CCH's tax prep software explicitly calls Adobe's Acrobat Reader and doesn't recognize other readers so their tax forms won't print correctly or display in print preview mode.

4. hewee

hewee

Foxit reader even has the Ask Toolbar in the portable version now. They changed the search in the reader to the Ask search.

Snagglegaster you should try PDF XChange Viewer also. It is just as fast and has other nice things.
    You go to preferences, registration and you can put a checkmark in a box to hide the Pro version in the free version. Now you will not see what you can't use.

I love PDF-XChangeViewer

They added the Ask Toolbar a couple versions back.
    http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=16109&st=220&p=100707&#entry100707

But the "msi installer" and "portable" versions Do Not have the toolbar.

Lots of great things about it I like.
    I have lots of .pdf booklets and smaller books and I can mark them all up and save them.
    Export out my settings etc.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Thanks for the info on PDF XChange Viewer. Definitely looks worth checking out. I've also never used Nuance's viewer. Generally, I like Nuance products, but I'm less than pleased with my recent dealings with the company. Long story, and I doubt anyone really wants to listen to the rant. But, all the same, I'd expect their viewer to work well. Since Adobe lets anyone develop a PDF reader royalty free, I'm sure there must be a gazillion good ones.

6. hewee

hewee

7. nancy0123

nancy0123

You can use The Foxit Reader. Foxit Reader product family has a great selection of tools to let you perform common tasks with PDF documents.

8. perfume

Dear Stoner,
    I did not reply fast, because i wanted to check out

1) Whether it is really free! Yes, it is.

2) Any added "bells and whistles" needed to be downloaded. None!

3) How does it compare to Foxit Reader, which was first recommended by hewee !

4) Now for the final check. Does KIS 2010, a jealous girl friend accept it? Not exactly! Kindly view the warning KIS gave me before installation. What would have been your response? Since ,i was boxed in,i clicked on YES! Now that hewee mentions another Pdf reader, i'll have to check it up.Peculiarly enough, when i ran the "vulnerability scan" Nuance was given a clean chit!

Thanks a lot, Stoner! That was not the only landmine on the Garden path. You just cannot imagine the personal details Nuance collects about you,ENDLESS!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    http://http://www.securelist.com/en/advisories/39375
    Kindly view the thumbnails below.

Attached Files:

9. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I also use Foxit Reader. Never had trouble with it.
    Just be careful not to install the Ask Toolbar that comes bundled with it.[​IMG]

By the way, perfume, I wouldn't rely too heavily on what Kaspersky says. It's way too overactive!
    [​IMG]

10. bp936

bp936

Foxit Reader works well.
    KIS 2010 is crazy, it refuses to run so many of my old programs, it restricts me constantly when I know they are safe. Settings in KIS 2010 are so confusing, I don't always trust, what it says, old Kaspersky was much better.
    I never had a problem with Foxit Reader but I do not allow to install a toolbar from any program.

11. Stoner

Stoner Banned

This is the first time I've taken a serious look at Nuance's Reader. I was anticipating using it, though.
    As far as registration, I don't have issues as I already have some of their software registered.
    But looking half way down this link would likely turn off many users, it would me:

http://www.lehsys.com/2010/02/review-nuances-free-pdf-reader/

see: Exporting/Converting PDF’s…

BTW....your link .... http://http//www.securelist.com/en/advisories/39375 ....doesn't work for me.
    This however does: http://www.securelist.com/en/advisories/39375
    But I don't see the connection to Nuance.

I also get warnings installing software when it isn't recognized by A squared.
    Nuance is well known and trusted for privacy even if they are seen as often being overbearing in the hoops they demand customers to jump through.
    As I have several of their commercial apps registered, there isn't much more info they're going to get out of me :D

I've used Foxit for several years as my default, but with all the hub-bub about Adobe Reader and it's vulnerabilities, I did recently uninstall it in regards to my online computer.

With my offline computer, there is a 'quirk'---'bug' in both the Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader ( edit: or Paperport ) when opening an Ohio State Tax return form from within Paperport 8.
    This form has a mathematical auto fill function that when opened from a Paperport window, causes 50% CPU usage in Paperport even after the PDF is closed.
    Open the PDF from a Explorer window and CPU usage falls to an insignificant level as expected.
    I was going to try out the Nuance Reader as Nuance also sells Paperport and I was hoping there was better compatibility.
    But since that computer isn't set up to go online and Nuance requires registration, it looks like I won't be trying it out.

12. perfume

Dear Stoner,
    Thanks for the reply! The link was for the MS office buffer-overflow vulnerability! Did you have an opportunity to use "Comodo Memory Firewall", an excellent tool to prevent these overflow attacks?

13. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I'm using Online Armor for a firewall and anything done online is first done in Sandboxie.

14. hewee

hewee

15. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You got to be careful with whatever you're installing. It often includes some bundled up crap! [​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice