Suggestions for refurbished Desktops

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Abie2

Its been about 5-6 years, so i am out of date7 what to look for. I am not a gamer, just a typicAL user. I would like to use AT least one of my hd's that has all of my files photos and OS Win 7...and possibly ram sticks that may be compatible to add. Little research seem to favor Dell and HP. ..I hate propriety companies. Also, I would like to see the inners of the cases. ...again, suggestions welcomed.

You may find that Windows 7 does not support all the latest hardware. And also, Windows 7 does not adapt to new hardware as good as Windows 10. With Windows 10 you can unplug a hard drive containing it and place it into a different computer and it will automatically adjust, but not Windows 7.

As for RAM, the latest version is DDR 4. Your old computer may have only DDR 3. A new computer cannot use DDR 3.

Johnny b

John
My experience so far with refurbs has been good.
I'm not a gamer. All I use it for is Internet connectivity.
Currently it's running a distro of Linux.
It came with Win7 Pro and I upgraded it to Win 10 pro. It worked well.

It's a Lenovo M82 SFF I5 3.2ghz 8gb memory
It came with a 500gb hard drive.
It cost ~$130 at Newegg and was rated Grade A.
I liked it enough I bought another identical one for a different room in the house.
One in the living room, the other on my home/office/study.

Initially, I was dual booting but I prefer using Puppy Linux for my connection to the Internet. So I removed Win 10.
I do use a Win7 Pro Computer offline for home finances, photo editing etc. though.

Prices on refurbs can be compelling, just make sure the source is reliable.
And remember,,,,they are used hardware and won't last as long as a new one, on average. But can cost a lot less per year.

Abie2

You may find that Windows 7 does not support all the latest hardware. And also, Windows 7 does not adapt to new hardware as good as Windows 10. With Windows 10 you can unplug a hard drive containing it and place it into a different computer and it will automatically adjust, but not Windows 7.

As for RAM, the latest version is DDR 4. Your old computer may have only DDR 3. A new computer cannot use DDR 3.
Yes, i have DD3....but we are not talking about New computers, so a refurbished one may still have DD3's. As for my Win 7, at the least i hope i would be able to save important files and etc. I have been checking so far with Micro Center and Ebay.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Abie2:

What price range are you willing to spend on a refurbished PC?

The Dell OptiPlex minitower models are what I recommend.

-------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
We have a local MS certified refurbisher. I bought my husband a Dell Optiplex that came with XP and came with a Windows 7 (32 bit) Pro DVD in 2013. It is still working fine.

If you get an off-lease business computer, you'll probably find the case might be small but the computer will run well.
You can always attach the old hard drive by an external powered USB connector and pull the files off that you want.

Abie2

Abie2:

What price range are you willing to spend on a refurbished PC?

The Dell OptiPlex minitower models are what I recommend.

-------------------------------------------------
I've been searching both microcenter and newegg, and its been frustrating getting info from them. they give u the basics, but i want to know the insides of the desktop...does it come with expanshion slots, how many ram slots, does it come with a keyboard,manual ,mouse...what i have is it compatible with this desktop. i would like to take advantage of the working products of my old DT. Also it has to handle win 7, at least as a dual system. I am not looking for any DT that goes above DD3 ram, otherwise i might as buy a new one. Netegg wants u to fill out an account just to answer a question.

Johnny b

John
Do a google search using the make and model of the computer for search terms.

Abie2

Do a google search using the make and model of the computer for search terms.
TY, all...a miracle happened...a tech revived my desktop, Unfortunately at the expense of losing Win 7, but he saved all my important files and photos and now I have Win 10, solo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online