Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suggestions for Speakers for my PC?

3K views 56 replies 10 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my ancient speakers that are from the old days of probably Windows 2000 or at least XP. They still work but the power adapter is the size of a brick and weighs a ton. Seriously, I could kill someone with it. Plus, if I plug it into the surge protection side of my UPS it takes the space of all three of the available outlets. For now, I have it plugged directly into the wall outlet since I don't really care what happens to those speakers.

So, basically what I'm looking for are not super high end but not bottom of the line either. I don't even use them that much just to watch the odd video. But I'd still like a decent sound quality. Also, not too big in size. The ones I currently have are 4-1/2" W x 8" H so around the same size or smaller would be ideal. They don't have to have any bells and whistles as long as decent sound comes through them that's all I need.

I'm posting my TSG SysInfo Untility report below. Keep in mind I'd will be getting a Windows 10 computer when Windows 8.1 goes out of extended support in a couple of years so they need to be compatible with both for now. My PC is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 and I would probably be getting another similar Lenovo model.

I don't really have a budget but would expect under $100.00 but could go up to $200 Canadian (so $1,000,000 American :D )

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, Build 9600, Installed 20140310170059.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (785 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO SHARKBAY, ver 0B98401 PRO
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1480, s/n MJ00CJ6B
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#4 ·
They look interesting Allan. I definitely don't have room for the sub-woofer. Also, the speakers are tilted upwards and they will already be high up on a shelves above my head. I don't think that would make much difference though. I do like the fact that they connect by USB only. Thanks. :)

#10 ·
The V3 and V2 have a 4ft 5" cable between the 2 speakers (the set with a subwoofer is called Creative Pebble Plus, V3 has Bluetooth and a few other improvements compared to V2)

You can compare the different sets here, about half way down the page :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-M...ords=creative+pebble+v3&qid=1623616939&sr=8-3

Have you looked for the V3 on Ebay Karen ? I just looked at Ebay.ca and they only show up from the UK or USA !
So you might be better off with a different brand.

#11 ·
Thanks Allan. That comparison is very helpful. The V3 and V2 are very similar and the V3 has Bluetooth while the V2 doesn't. But I don't need or want Bluetooth so that's not a problem. The length of the right to left speaker cable is 53.1 inches and that might be a bit too short but it could work. I have about 52" between where the holes are for the wires to come through but I to be able to pull them through and connect them. Of course, I could always make new holes closer together.

I don't deal with eBay and wouldn't want to enter credit card information there. It took me forever to trust Amazon and I'm still not crazy about it but order everything from the one place when I can. :)

#12 ·
Can you buy from Newegg.com ? They have the V2 and V3.

A possible problem with both is you will have to run a cable to a Usb port on your PC to power them, or use a wall-wart instead.

BTW with the Creative Pebble Plus you can use the 2 small speakers without connecting the sub-woofer, you lose a lot of bass though.
Did you see where I said you can put the sub-woofer on the floor ?

#13 ·
The cable to power them isn't a problem because the left speaker is very close to the PC tower.

There's a Newegg.ca site but they are shipped from China and there are fees plus it takes longer.

The Creative Pebble Plus says the cable between the two is only 4 feet.

#14 ·
Yes it does say just under 4ft, I didn't look at that because you said you couldn't find space for the sub-woofer.
I mentioned the subwoofer model in my previous post in case you didn't notice it can be put on the floor.

IMHO the best way is to listen to some in a shop if that's a possibilty because YouTube reviews are using your present speakers so it's hard to judge which ones sound best.

I would not buy from China right now, the delivery can take even longer than usual because of Covid.

#15 ·
The cable to power them isn't a problem because the left speaker is very close to the PC tower.

There's a Newegg.ca site but they are shipped from China and there are fees plus it takes longer.

The Creative Pebble Plus says the cable between the two is only 4 feet.
Karen, the ones I found on Newegg ship from Canada. creative-pebble v3 and v2

https://www.newegg.ca/black-creative-pebble-plus-wired/p/N82E16836116213?Item=N82E16836116213&Description=Creative Pebble Plus&cm_re=Creative_Pebble Plus-_-36-116-213-_-Product

https://www.newegg.ca/black-creative-pebble-v2-wired/p/N82E16836116214?Item=N82E16836116214
https://www.newegg.ca/white-creative-pebble-wired/p/0S6-004H-00064?Item=0S6-004H-00064

#17 ·
Karen, the ones I found on Newegg ship from Canada. creative-pebble v3 and v2
Thanks Knuck. The Creative Pebble Plus does not say which version it is and from the comparison on Amazon that Allan posted it looks like it's the basic one and not even V2 because of the dimensions and the length of the cable for the speakers, both the basic and the plus show 47.2 inches whereas V2 and V3 are 53.1 inches.

#26 ·
The very, VEry, VERY best speaker system to have for a computer is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.0 THX. Anything else is a waste of money. New they go for in the $150 to $200 range but you can find them used in good condition on places like OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace. If you listen to any music or stream movies on your computer do yourself a favor and don't go cheap on speakers. You will only b spending your money twice; once when you buy the second rate speakers and the second time when you buy the ones you should have bought the first time. Nuff Said!!!!!

#27 ·
Thanks Brvsfn01 but those are probably way above my needs. Plus I can't find any information on what type of power adapter they have or if they power through USB only. It appears the cable length between the two speakers is quite long though so that's a plus.

#29 ·
@Cookiegal they don't have a power adapter and they do not run through a USB port. This system puts out 220 wats per channel. The power cable plugs directly into the wall. The speaker connections are the same as a high end home theater system. They use 18 or 20 gauge zip cord with the ends stripped and tinned.

Try it you will like it.

#33 ·
@Cookiegal One thing I didn't mention is that the speakers in the Klipsch ProMedia 2.0 THX system (not the sub-woofer, the speakers) are true 2-way speakers and it really shows in the performance. The offerings from Cyber Acoustic, Logitech, and others in the $50 to $100 range are only 1-way speakers. Logitech and Cyber Acoustic make good speakers but I am seriously into my audio and for the price I paid for them from Facebook Marketplace I could not pass them up and they are in pristine condition. I bought them from another Audiophile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.