Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suggestions for Speakers for my PC?

3K views 56 replies 10 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my ancient speakers that are from the old days of probably Windows 2000 or at least XP. They still work but the power adapter is the size of a brick and weighs a ton. Seriously, I could kill someone with it. Plus, if I plug it into the surge protection side of my UPS it takes the space of all three of the available outlets. For now, I have it plugged directly into the wall outlet since I don't really care what happens to those speakers.

So, basically what I'm looking for are not super high end but not bottom of the line either. I don't even use them that much just to watch the odd video. But I'd still like a decent sound quality. Also, not too big in size. The ones I currently have are 4-1/2" W x 8" H so around the same size or smaller would be ideal. They don't have to have any bells and whistles as long as decent sound comes through them that's all I need.

I'm posting my TSG SysInfo Untility report below. Keep in mind I'd will be getting a Windows 10 computer when Windows 8.1 goes out of extended support in a couple of years so they need to be compatible with both for now. My PC is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 and I would probably be getting another similar Lenovo model.

I don't really have a budget but would expect under $100.00 but could go up to $200 Canadian (so $1,000,000 American :D )

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, Build 9600, Installed 20140310170059.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (785 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO SHARKBAY, ver 0B98401 PRO
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1480, s/n MJ00CJ6B
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#37 · (Edited)
I'd go to Walmart.com, Ebay, or Amazon and check out what Boze has to offer for 100 dollars or less. Then check the reviews. Generally speaking the more you spend the better the speaker. I got my last speakers from Walmart and have been using them on my desktop for over 10 years and they play just as well now as when I got them, but you are right about the plug-in. Its ancient, much too big and clumsy. It takes up too much room on my powerstrip.

#47 ·
Well Amazon cancelled my order because they can't get the speakers I ordered and I was back to square one. But I just ordered the Bose speakers that @Noyb mentioned from Walmart because they were less expensive than on Amazon.

I saw that they have an adapter but it's very small and shouldn't take up more than one outlet on the UPS so that's fine. The wire between the speakers is 60 inches so that's what I need without having to purchase another one.

They should arrive in a few days so I'll let you know how they are once I've got them hooked up.

#48 ·
I received the Bose speakers today and they sound very good and are nice looking. The adapter also only takes up one space on the UPS which is what I wanted. But the sound is comparable to the ones I already have so I guess they were better quality than I thought. They are SonLab CS-880 and you can adjust the treble and the bass but you can't do that on the Bose ones. I can't find anything on the Internet about them. But I'm still happy with these new ones.

Now I have the chore of getting them hooked up permanently because my desk has a shelf unit top to it and I have to pass the wire connecting the two speakers behind it down to the holes on the little shelves and there's only a couple of inches of space to work with. One side is more difficult since it's up against the wall in the corner. I'll struggle with that tomorrow.

#49 ·
I know I'm talking to myself here but I set the new speakers up. I managed to feed the wire from the right to left speaker by taping it to the previous wire and pulling them through together. I have no clue how I managed to do it the first time all those years ago in such a tight space.

So then I had to pull the UPS out as far as I could (it's in the compartment where a tower would normally go) to plug the adapter in. Did that, put the UPS back in place and all of a sudden I've lost my Internet connection. I thought I might have pulled something loose but the only thing that goes through the UPS is the power adapter which I had just plugged in. But I checked the back of the Modem and the tower where the Ethernet wire goes and the phone wire, all was good but the darn WAN was still flashing red. Now I am hardware challenged but I do know how to connect a modem.

So I then did the required reboot of the modem and waiting 10 minutes but that didn't work so I had to call Bell and the girl did a few things on her end and actually fixed it. She said it was likely caused by the weather as we've had some pretty severe storms and heavy rainfalls and they've had a lot of calls for this. They just have to change some configurations on their end. Phew!

They look and sound great and everything works. :)

#52 ·
I managed to feed the wire from the right to left speaker by taping it to the previous wire and pulling them through together.
Had I seen this in time, that's what I would've suggested doing. I've done things very similar to that in the past. It usually works much better than feeding them from scratch!

#55 ·
Unless you want decent sound ... Flat screen TV speakers are notorious for having cheap, tinny speakers, and desktop monitors are even worse! Just my $.02.

#56 ·
I don't game or do anything that requires booming sound, so the integrated speakers in the monitors that I've used are usually sufficient for me.
If I need better sound, I have a USB-powered set of Logitech speakers to fall back on.

-------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.