1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions for xp security software

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mreddys10, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am running windows XP home on my laptop and these are the security softwares i use:
    AVG Free
    AVG antispyware free edition
    Spyware Terminator (with real-time protection)
    Spybot S&D
    SpywareBlaster
    BitDefender (on-demand scanner)
    Windows firewall

My question is, after all this, do i need to use a firewall? My laptop is connected to the internet through a router. Is the combo of router and windows firewall enough? I only ask this because the other computer on this network (i.e. connected to the same router) is infected with a lot of spyware and virus.

If i do need a firewall, which one would u guys recommend?

2. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

Hi, It's my understanding that you do not need a firewall, IF & that's a big if, it's contained within the router & in that case it (the computer's) should be explicitly turned off! Check "WWW.AskBobRankin.com" What mdl & mfr router do you have?
    Ben

3. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

4. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Even if you do have a router, you still need a software firewall. Because a) other computers on the network may get hacked and attack your computer b) trojans and spyware and backdoors can land on your PC and want to connect home; outbound protection of a software firewall on the PC can stop those. c) you may be on a wireless LAN, and if it is unencrypted ( a very unwise move) others can connect to your network and attack your PCs. d) If yours is a laptop and you travel with it and use Hotspots, you definitely need a firewall.

The best security advise is to have layers of protection, and a software firewall is one such layer. If one layer of protection is bypassed or fails, you have yet another layer to protect you.

There are a number of free firewalls such as ZoneAlarm free, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus.

6. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

hi benny bumble......i have a d-link router. although i should've mentioned that i did get a software with the router, after installation, the speed dropped dramatically. so, i just use it more like a splitter, where i plug in the incoming LAN (from the modem) into port 1, and the outgoing LAN cables into 2 and 3. so, dont know if the router's hardware firewall is actually working.

As for the spyware issue, i know it sounds like i have a lot of antispyware softwares, but the thing is that only spyware terminator and spybot s&d are actually working in the background. i use both because one of them always misses a few threats (not 'cookies' kind of threats, but trojans) while the other detects them. As for the on-demand scanners, i just use them when i suspect an infection.

Thanks for all the info though :D. Appreciate it

So, can anyone recommend a good firewall in my situation (if u still think i need one that is ;))? and i've tried comodo v2, had it for a long time, but had huge problems installing v3 (had to do a system restore in safe mode because of it).....

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you are not using the internet/Wan jack of your router, then you're losing the NAT capability.

Since you have used comodo before, then you can stick with it, it is pretty well regarded around here. Version 2 is still available for download.

8. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

ok....thanks for the help. hope this wasn't a waste of ur time

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice