1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions on Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by lschul, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I posted last week about a Canon A520 I just got and I like it, but the recovery time between flash ready status is over 5 seconds - I don't like that. I am looking for suggestions on a good point and shoot type digital cam with zoom, 5MP or more and a quick response time to flash, etc. I have a 2gb SD card so one with that would be preferable. I am hoping to spend under $200. Thanks

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

3. linskyjack

linskyjack

The flash has to recycle and they don't exactly put the best units on the point and shoots. I can't recommend anything within your price range.

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I had it with the A70 - I am not happy with the upgrade...so I will continue to look.

5. reba

reba

Even dedicated flash units for DSLRs costing upwards of $250 for just the flash can take time to recycle, especially if batteries are low.

6. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac

A point and shoot-er, you say? Well, I just got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 for $250 (Canadian) and it's got 6x zoom, 6MP, Leica lens with Mega Optical Image Stabilization, 2.5" LCD. You can turn on a burst mode, but that doesn't work with the flash, it's not instant. It doesn't come with the rechargeable batteries, it takes AA, but that's kinda handy sometimes anyway. Besides, Ni-MH AAs and chargers are pretty cheap nowadays anyway. Still, you're probably looking at at least $250 US in total. I'm quite satisfied with it, though. It's a nice little camera.
    Anyway, good luck. :)(y)

7. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac

Anyway, anyway, anyway.:D

8. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac

Oh yeah, and you can use that 2GB SD card with it too.

9. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I will check that out. Thanks

10. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac

Small correction to my old post: I said Leica lens, when in fact it is labeled "Lumix DC Vario."

And um, although that camera was the best deal I could find at the time, I've seen better since... Have you decided on a camera yet?

11. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification, I have not decided yet, I know I don't like my current set up, even the pictures are grainy and its set to the best resolution. I was browsing at Wally World the other day and the lady in the photo area said they are getting all new models so to hang on...

12. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As explained above, recycle time with a flash is determined by the ability of the battery to supply the amps needed to recharge the HV capacitor (via an inverter).

There is a finite limit to the amps that can be extracted from the camera batteries, hence the delay in recycling. 5 seconds is about normal, any "quicker" would often be injurious to the battery lifetime.

You may be seeking something that is non-attainable unless it has a very low output flash.

14. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac

How powerful does the flash need to be?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice