1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

suggestions on issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Couriant, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    I have a small issue that has reoccured. I didn't resolve it last time. Had no need to do remote control then.

On a D-Link DI-604 router, 2 computers.
    Computer A can ping Computer B.
    Computer B cannot ping Computer A.
    No firewalls, including XPs (SP1a only) are on.
    Computer A cannot connect to Computer B, either by IE to get shared, or by GenControl (remote control)
    I have account on both machines, same name, both with administrative privileges.
    IP addresses, subnet mask, and gateway are correct. The workgroup is correct also. Router is handing out all information.

The only reason I'm doing something about it now is that I need to share the printer (on Computer A) and obviously need to have communication with the machine. The machines are in the same room.

Any other ideas to check?

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Both can access the internet? Do you have a normal switch you can put in place just to see if the computers can talk to each other then? This would tell you if the problem follows the router or the computers. You said that the firewalls are off so that should not be the problem service pack1a does allow you to check a box on the advanced tab of the connection properties to protect your computer make sure that is not checked, could have just missed it. other then that I would try another device just a simple switch or hub and see if the computers can talk then. if that fixes the issue then your router went wacky and you will need a new one.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sounds like computer A may have alot of issues since it can ping B but b cannot ping it but it itself cannot make network connections to B.

Have you tried resetting all the TCP/IP and winsock information? Something like Winsock XP fix. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Also you have made sure both are same workgroup right?

4. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Memnoch was correct. I didn't reliased that the advanced properties had the ICF at all. I have unchecked that and now can ping again.

Now all i need to do is get my remote control program working. I'm assuming it's a user/permission issue, since the account on Computer A is a different username on Computer B.

Thanks again for your assistance.

5. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

What remote controll do you use? I use NetOP and I simply love it.

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    GenControl.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice