1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions on Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TMLewiss, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TMLewiss

TMLewiss Thread Starter

I am getting a Abit KL8 SLI Mobo with two 7600GTs in SLI and I wanted to get 2gig of DDR in Dual Channel, but im not sure which ones I should get. I am completely new to SLI and I am noticing that you have to have a lot of parts that are just made for SLI. Like th PSU and the Mobo and stuff. So I was wondering, is their a difference in ram when it comes to SLI. The two sticks I was looking into were these: Ram Compare

Is there really a big difference between the two in performance? And do any of you have any suggestions on what I should get?

My Build will be:

Audigy 2 ZS Platnium
    2x250g 7200 RPM HDD 8mb Cache
    2xeVGA 7600GT SLI
    2x1gig DDR 400 Dual Channel
    Abit KN8 SLI
    DVD Dual Layer Drive
    CD+-RW Drive
    Generic Floppy Drive
    AMD 4600+ X2 Manchester
    Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W PSU

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

The second ram has better time. Can you give a link to this Abit KL8 SLI mobo specs?

3. TMLewiss

TMLewiss Thread Starter

Its KN8 SLI... stupid voice recognition software... on the other hand, who is more stupid, the software or the user for not proof reading? Here is the link: KN8 SLI

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I prefer Mushkin.Geil,or OCZ above the rest for preformance ram.

6. TMLewiss

TMLewiss Thread Starter

I just know that Corsair XMS is considered one of the best performance rams available. But still, do you have to have a special type of ram that supports SLI. I seriously doubt it since that would make no sense. But like some RAM actually has the SLI logos so im wondering.

7. TMLewiss

TMLewiss Thread Starter

Ok here is a better list of some ram. Compared on newegg. Link

The Kingston ram looks like the best bang for the buck. The only bad thing about it is that is is that the timings have to be manually set. I have never done that but I am sure it is pretty simple, at least thats what everyone tells me. Still, wondering about the SLI thing...

8. TMLewiss

TMLewiss Thread Starter

Bump, but I think I am going to go with 1 7950GT instead of 2x7600 SLI

9. pugmug

pugmug Banned

SLI and Crossfire are both a waste of money in my way of looking at them after alot of research on the subject and building both types for customers that had more money than smarts.. ps. You know XMS ram is one of the best? How,reading or using?

10. TMLewiss

TMLewiss Thread Starter

Reading. The RAM I have used the most has been Kingston. You know, now that I am not doing SLI, I might not even need to get a new PSU... maybe, I have a 500W PSU right now. Any specific requirements on PSU's for 7950s, or do I still need a SLI ready PSU since it is a SLI Mobo? PS: Your avatar = own.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I actually agree with Puggy here( careful not to walk under any ladders today), and would avoid Sli if at all possible as I have a sneaking suspicion the Sli combined with Nvidia chipset is what is messing up so many Asus motherboards. I hope you realize also the return rate on Asus Sli boards is really high...again there is absolutely no evidence for what I think here, but I had 3 boards A8N Sli until I gavce up and went away from Sli and Asus for success.
    For me Corsair Xms is the best and I use it in every build for me personally!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice