1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suggestions????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bjb21, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bjb21

bjb21 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what everyone thought. I am look to get a new pc and would like to get one of the slim computers. I don't want to go to Vista right now so I would like to get it with XP installed on it. What brands/models does everyone suggest. I was looking at the Dell XPS which is a little more then I wanted to spend. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    BJB21

2. SB305

SB305

Just general observations:
    1. Size IS important - if you want a desktop replacement, and you're happy with only a 17" display, fine but (as I found too late!) even a 17" laptop is a bit bulky to sit on your lap comfortably.
    2. You MAY be paying a premium by specifying XP as the OS by severely restricting your choices out of all the laptops available.
    3. You could get a much higher specification desktop PC, far easier to repair and upgrade than a laptop, for the same price.

3. bjb21

bjb21 Thread Starter

I don't think that I am interested in a laptop. What I was really talking about is one of the desktop slims. I know Dell has a couple of them and I was just wondering who else had them or what people thought was the best if they had any experience.

4. bjb21

bjb21 Thread Starter

Anyone have any suggestions?

5. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Why a slim case or a dell? That limits future possibilities if you want to upgrade.
    For the money dell charges for higher end computers, you could go to a local pc shop and have them build you a MUCH better one, with higher quality parts.

6. oldsaltoz

oldsaltoz

For many years now I have avoided computer brands that run their own systems, have a hidden partition with the factory restore, and parts are only available from the computer manufacturer. HP is a prime example and Dell can be a problem. There are others and I'm sure someone with computer savvy than me will post on this.

There are plenty of very good generic computers available that are cheap to run, upgrade and manage; you don't have to be locked in.

Avagoodweekend......

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

8. bjb21

bjb21 Thread Starter

I didn't say I wanted to go with Dell. I was just giving an example of what I was talking about in the slim line.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/642784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice