1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sumthin really weird in ICS and Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kalmarath, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

OK my computer is connected an ADSL connection, and 3 others to mine... which were automaticaly connected to the internet since i enabled the "sharing" option... it went well but until just recently, all the 3 suddenly couldn't connect to the internet, but we can still share our files... dont you think it's weird? it just went out like that... i dont know why, hope you guys can help..

oh ya and another weird phenomenon is... that... although we can share our files, we cant play LAN games, after that problem occured that is...

I tried "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties" and i've set my IP to 192.168.0.1 to mine and 255.255.255.0 as my subnet mask.
    The others with 192.168.0.XXX as their IP and with the same subnet mask as mine... yup we can share files but they cant connect to the internet, and play LAN games..

THanks in advance... ;)

EDIT: I forgot to ask something... :) Is there a program that actually devides the amount of connection speed to others evenly? For example im having a 384kbps connection and devide it into 4 that means each can only surf around 96kbps?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Which version of Windows are you running on each PC? Can you do a start > run > cmd >ipconfig /all on each machine and paste the contents here. ICS should be giving out IP addresses so you really shouldn't have to set static IP addresses on each machine.

I personally would uninstall ICS and use AnalogX's Proxy server or buy a cheap Broadband router. You can get them for Under $30 these days. I actually got a decent one for $15 a couple months ago.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

3. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

Oh hehe WinXP on all pcs...
    All i did was enabling the "allow other users to connect thru this connection". I dont know, maybe im not using ICS?.. hehe

Ya and i'm using a Linksys 5-port Router...

All the IPs are like i stated above... =(

4. Squashman

We still need to see everything from ipconfig /all There are other things we need to see from that output.

If you have all your computers connected to the router, set them to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS addresses automatically. Your router should be giving out IP addresses.

5. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

Hey it works thanks, maybe its because of the DNS part...not so sure.. thanks again.... =)

Ok what about this part? :)

6. Squashman

I think the only way to do that would be to run a really high end Proxy server like Squid(Unix) or Microsofts Proxy Server.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice