1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sun Java VS MS Java?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Eddies & Whisper, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eddies & Whisper

Eddies & Whisper Thread Starter

A while back I got overly efficient (?) one night and decided to update everything I could think to on my poor old machine. But while I knew what most of it was, where to find updates on some of it eluded me. So I did Google searches to find things like Flash and Java. Everything went okay until Java. At the time, dunderheaded me:rolleyes: , I didn't realize that there were two different versions of Java, the Sun version and the Microsoft version.

Wait! are there more out there that are better than either of these? Please enlighten me???

Anyway, I downloaded the Sun version and it has really done a number on this poor old machine. It is much slower, it stalls out on a regular basis -- a good day is when it stalls out only three times in the day for example. Today, it's been about 12 times, sigh....:(

So, I've been playing online games at several sites, most of which (all?) run with Java, but even though while the game's Java loads everything else stops dead, it's all been par for the course, until I try to load games from Zylom. Their FAQ tells me to un-install the Sun Java and then install MSN Java. But I am having trouble with the un-installing part. Can anyone walk me through it? step by step?

Please help? Thanks in advance.

Jackie

2. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

What type pc and how old is it and how much RAM is installed ?

3. GripS

GripS

4. Eddies & Whisper

Computer was "donted" to me by someone at my church. I'm not a techie, so how do I find this information to give you?

Thanks again and in advance,
    Jackie

5. Eddies & Whisper

Thanks that's kind of you, but I'm running 98 on ths old machine. Do I still want the same info?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You want to uninstall Sun Java? Go to Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall it.

7. Eddies & Whisper

Thanks, DoubleHelix. I did consider that, except for a couple of things. First, Zylom's Java FAQ lists about 5 steps to take none of them as simple as your suggestion. Also, in doing my research on the net I keep finding places where people have tried to do just that and are not seeking help because (a) it didn't completely uninstall and now (b) it's screwing up their entire system. That's a result I can't afford. So I thought I'd turn to the forum I trust to ask for advice and help.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've removed it many times without a problem. You're already having problems with this system. No one can definitively tell you that you will not experience any problems during the course of troubleshooting.

9. rad_unscarred

rad_unscarred

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    In the earlier days (windows 98) Microsoft made their version of the Java, however they pretty much stole the code from Sun. Sun sued and won. Microsoft stopped making their version. Not too sure if they have put that back out.

If you are going to use java applets, then the java from www.java.com is the most recent one to use and really the only one you should use.

11. Eddies & Whisper

yeeesss??????

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    ? is there something you needed?

13. Eddies & Whisper

so, I went to java.com, and I think it's the Sun Java site. So, if that's the "flavor" of java I'msupposed to have, should I maybe downgrade to an older version?

And since I'm still a newbie here, any speculation on why Zylom would tell me to uninstall Sun Java and install MS Java? Just curious?

Thanks,
    Jackie

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

First, you seem to think that installing Sun Java has caused your computer to run poorly. To troubleshoot that, uninstall Sun Java. I have a feeling that's not the issue.

Second, I have no clue what Zylom is. If you don't need Sun Java, don't install it. I don't recommend installing an older version because older versions contain security holes. Although since you're running it on a Windows 98 computer, that may not be as big of an issue. Older versions might not work with certain apps, however.

15. Eddies & Whisper

No, I was just replying to the one above that said "ahheemm" or something simliar, and didn't think to use quotes or names. So sorry! :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!