Sun Sparc Workstation for sale

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

logistix_111

I need to know if this is worth buying. The person is asking $400 for this computer. Please let me know! Thanks!

Sun Ultra2

1x 300 MHz UltraSparc (room for a second proc max speed 400 MHz – no mix and match)

256 Mb RAM

1 x 9.1Gb wide UltraSCSI (room for the second will accept 18 or 36 Gb drives)

64 bit video card

4 Port 100 mbit QFE NIC Card

Imbedded SCSI controller

Imbeded 100 Mbit NIC

Solaris 9 installed and licensed

I figured the new Solaris would run on any other Intel box, but since this Sparc station is 64bit, I thought I'd buy it. Only 300Mhz though. :( Please let me know.

I'm not an expert with Sun stuff, but isn't this system like 3 year old technology? You could buy a pretty good PC based system for $400, is there some reason why you want a Sun system, in my day they were meant for high end Unix based CAD/CAM applications and the like.

logistix_111

The guy said it cost 6,000 bucks a few years ago. The only advantage to this thing would be the 64bit chip. But, it's only 300Mhz. I could run Solaris 9 on a $200 Pentium 4 system and blow it away I think. Anyway, thank you for your advice; it helps!

I have no doubt that he spent $6000 on the system when it came out. The first IBM 286 I bought cost about $3500 in 1988, what's it worth now?

For a company that has a lot of SPARC stations, its a good deal - they could use it for a replacement.

Overall - I'd say no... but is it WORTH that much to you?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, you couldn't run the copy of Solaris for the Sparc on an Intel machine in any case. :)

Why do you have any intrests in runnig SPARC... when theres Microsoft?

WindowsXP is:

1 - Not Trustworthy (Sending private info out)
2 - Self Destructive (VIA Activation - er De-Activation)
3 - Non Secure
4 - Cost more than its worth
5 - M$ is a monopoly, an illegal company that paid the GOVT off.
6 - WinXP has its OWN issues
7 - DRM arm twisting
8 - Slow networking connections
9 - I don't have time to mess with it on my MAIN machine
10 - Its DIFFICULT to uninstall MS Messenger and even harder to remove Outlook Express - worlds most un-secure email client, horrible program to work with. Looks pretty, but other than that - written by a team of programers with a collective IQ of 100pts.

Come on LINUX!! Get me off this sinking ship!

I have XP on a test system, mostly so I know my way around it when I have to work on a customers machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online