1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sunny D + Asus G60J D: Help Meh!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jpayne306, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jpayne306

Jpayne306 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but hopefully I can get some guidance as to where I should and just general help with this. This morning I spilled half a glass of Orange Juice (Sunny D) on my Asus G60J laptop. It went all over the keyboard and some of it got sucked into the fan, the bit that went into the keyboard sank in and seemed to get nice and comfortable, when it initially happened my computer made a noise and then shut off, it happened realtively fast so I wasn't able to actually turn the PC off. So, I pulled out the vaccum sucked up a lot of water and cleaned with a napkin, did a basic disassemble of the computer and just cleaned around everything, then I shook it a bit to get the rest of the Sunny D out and it immediately turned back on, I shut it off though. What I did earlier was run a dryer over it and then open up the back and let it sit in the sun for a while. I did that for about 5 hours and now I'm faced with this;

The computer started up for a while and I ran Speedfan imediately. I found that running basic application made the GPU get to very high temperatures and then the PC has a safe shutoff so it would shut off when the temperature got to high on it, it ran application and I even ran a game with it but the GPU would just get so hot within minutes it would shut off again it's also neseccary to mention that the game I was running started out choppy and would then speed up shortly after for a few moments but would return to being choppy. What I've done more recently is run the dryer over it once more to ensure there was no more water left in the laptop and I was very thorough with that, I started it up again and ran into the same issues, the GPU was really hot but this computer has a history of being relatively hot. Anyway, I ran the dryer over it a third time to ensure it was all gone and now I'm where I am now, the PC starts up but then shuts off immediately when the desktop appears.

My question is simple; assuming you read all of the above, am I ****ed? Should I leave it alone and let it dry for more time or does that matter? The hard drive was salvaged and I think everything else was as well but is the GPU a total loss? Should I just run out and buy an entirely new computer? My work revolves around my computer and it needs to be of high performance, so this is ultimately the worst case scenario. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I really hope this is the right section, If it's not, please don't ban me.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's running but simply overheating, it would seem to be a cooling issue. So the heatsink has come loose, or the fan(s) aren't still running or not running properly.

3. Jpayne306

Jpayne306 Thread Starter

I'm hoping to god that this is the case, however it only has one fan and it sounds like it's running good. It's periodic though, as in, it starts really fast and then slows down as if the temperature is rapidly changing. I'm just hoping the GPU isn't a loss because those things are expensive for laptops.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's not something simple, you will be buying a new laptop. Single components such as the gpu can't be replaced/upgraded in laptops. Everything is part of the motherboard.

5. Jpayne306

Jpayne306 Thread Starter

D:

6. Simba7

Simba7

Depends on the laptop. My G53SX's card is replaceable. You'll have to do some research on your laptop if that's the case.

Also, if you're going to disassemble it, you might want to grab a tube of Arctic Silver for the processor and/or graphics card. Plus, grab some 91% (or 100% if you can find it) Isoprophyl alcohol and clean the motherboard and the case of the Sunny-D. I've cleaned a few nasty boards that way and they work great afterwards. Just be gentle.

EDIT: After some research, your card is replacable. It's not cheap, though (~$200). I'd clean everything and apply some new HS compound (Arctic Silver) to the processor and the GPU and reassemble it. If the GPU is still giving you issues, you might have to replace it. Remember to double-check everything before applying power so the magic smoke doesn't escape.

7. Jpayne306

Jpayne306 Thread Starter

I'm a techy guy but I don't think I'd be able to disassemble it the way I neeed to. I'm thinking of taking it down to Best Buy and letting those guys clean it but I know all they're going to do is tell me that there aren't any replacement parts for it since Best Buy stopped selling this particular laptop.

I appreciate you looking that up, I found the GPU for 200 as well, I just really wasn't crazy about spending that just for the GPU because I had a feeling that that wasn't going to be the only issue after the machine takes a bath. Hopefully the boys down at Best Buy will go above their regular **** reputation and actually do something other than bill the hell out of me, I seriously doubt it though.

Hey, you guys wouldn't happen to have any guides on how to take a computer a part would you? Specifically the ones pertaining to dumbies? :D

8. Simba7

Simba7

Is it a G60J or a G60JX? I need to know the exact model number.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice