1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Super need help with custom pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by omegacentauri, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. omegacentauri

omegacentauri Thread Starter

I've just built my own pc and i'm having difficulty getting a display. There is no OS installed and with the harddrive being brand new i'm not sure if the drivers are installed.. I don't have access to a monitor either so i'm having to use a tv for display, however when I plug it into the on board vga connection the tv turns off, and when I plug the vga into my graphics card, the tv says check connection..

HELP!?! :eek:

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The TV will at most display power on self test (POST) information until you install an OS on the hard drive, and then only if the TV has a VGA input that supports very low screen resolutions. What is the manufacturer and model number for the TV? What OS do you plan to install?

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there are no drivers until the OS is installed - only the basic PC setup and bios

quite a few TVS do not work with the VGA output- I have a couple of TVs that only work once windows has been completely booted up

4. omegacentauri

The TV is a Samsung PS-42Q96HD, and I was planning on installing windows 7,
    How would I go about installing windows?

5. omegacentauri

I have used this tv before on a previous pc, however I did use it with my graphics card, and I did get to see the bios screen on the tv, however this time round with my new pc, nothing..?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you purchased windows 7 - if not , then you need to buy windows 7

as a test you could try ubuntu - which is free

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/ - Choose the option Write image file to disc
    OR
    you can use this stand alone ISO Burner to burn the ubuntu onto CD ftp://terabyteunlimited.com/burncdcc.zip

7. Frank4d

If the TV has displayed a BIOS screen before, then I see no reason it would be different for this PC. Can you post some specs for the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, drives and power supply in this new PC?

8. omegacentauri

Don't worry i've purchased windows haha,
    What I meant was is there no way I could install windows without having to use a pc monitor as I don't have access to one at the minute, and as stated before the main problem is I have no display to my TV..

Is the only option to get a monitor?

9. Frank4d

Maybe not. but can you post some specs for the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, drives and power supply in this new PC?

Also trying to determine if it doing anything at all when power is applied. Diagnostic lights on the motherboard, keyboard lights flash, light on bottom of mouse (if optical), one or more beeps, etc.

10. omegacentauri

Motherboard: Asrock G41m-VS3 R2.0
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 -1600
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Point of View GT520
    Processor: Intel Pentium G860 Dual core
    Drives????
    Power Supply: Really don't know :/

And I don't get any beeps at all, I don't have a speaker so even when I unplug the ram no beeps, which makes it harder -.-

11. omegacentauri

Also, the mouse will light up for about a second then power off, and it will do this everytime I plug it in.
    The Keyboard will not light up at all

12. Frank4d

You won't get any beeps unless you plug in a speaker (some motherboards have one, but yours doesnt).

When you tried the TV with the onboard VGA, was the GT520 graphics card removed from the motherboard at the time? A bit concerning that plugging the TV into the onboard VGA would cause the TV to turn off.

13. omegacentauri

No, i'll try giving it a go with the GT520 unplugged and see what happens

14. omegacentauri

Okay still nothing and whats worse is that even whilst the pc was turned off, as soon as I plugged in the VGA the tv went straight off, could this possibly be a resolution issue?

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at the plug pins on the VGA male connectors - they bend very easily and also still plug in

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice