Super need help with custom pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

omegacentauri

I've just built my own pc and i'm having difficulty getting a display. There is no OS installed and with the harddrive being brand new i'm not sure if the drivers are installed.. I don't have access to a monitor either so i'm having to use a tv for display, however when I plug it into the on board vga connection the tv turns off, and when I plug the vga into my graphics card, the tv says check connection..

HELP!?! :eek:

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
The TV will at most display power on self test (POST) information until you install an OS on the hard drive, and then only if the TV has a VGA input that supports very low screen resolutions. What is the manufacturer and model number for the TV? What OS do you plan to install?

etaf

Wayne
There is no OS installed and with the harddrive being brand new i'm not sure if the drivers are installed..
there are no drivers until the OS is installed - only the basic PC setup and bios

quite a few TVS do not work with the VGA output- I have a couple of TVs that only work once windows has been completely booted up

omegacentauri

The TV is a Samsung PS-42Q96HD, and I was planning on installing windows 7,
How would I go about installing windows?

omegacentauri

I have used this tv before on a previous pc, however I did use it with my graphics card, and I did get to see the bios screen on the tv, however this time round with my new pc, nothing..?

etaf

Wayne
How would I go about installing windows?
have you purchased windows 7 - if not , then you need to buy windows 7

as a test you could try ubuntu - which is free

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

click on the image "download ubuntu"
Select a location
then begin download
Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/ - Choose the option Write image file to disc
OR
you can use this stand alone ISO Burner to burn the ubuntu onto CD ftp://terabyteunlimited.com/burncdcc.zip

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
If the TV has displayed a BIOS screen before, then I see no reason it would be different for this PC. Can you post some specs for the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, drives and power supply in this new PC?

omegacentauri

Don't worry i've purchased windows haha,
What I meant was is there no way I could install windows without having to use a pc monitor as I don't have access to one at the minute, and as stated before the main problem is I have no display to my TV..

Is the only option to get a monitor?

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Maybe not. but can you post some specs for the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, drives and power supply in this new PC?

Also trying to determine if it doing anything at all when power is applied. Diagnostic lights on the motherboard, keyboard lights flash, light on bottom of mouse (if optical), one or more beeps, etc.

omegacentauri

Motherboard: Asrock G41m-VS3 R2.0
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 -1600
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Point of View GT520
Processor: Intel Pentium G860 Dual core
Drives????
Power Supply: Really don't know :/

And I don't get any beeps at all, I don't have a speaker so even when I unplug the ram no beeps, which makes it harder -.-

omegacentauri

Also, the mouse will light up for about a second then power off, and it will do this everytime I plug it in.
The Keyboard will not light up at all

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You won't get any beeps unless you plug in a speaker (some motherboards have one, but yours doesnt).

When you tried the TV with the onboard VGA, was the GT520 graphics card removed from the motherboard at the time? A bit concerning that plugging the TV into the onboard VGA would cause the TV to turn off.

omegacentauri

Okay still nothing and whats worse is that even whilst the pc was turned off, as soon as I plugged in the VGA the tv went straight off, could this possibly be a resolution issue?

etaf

Wayne
have a look at the plug pins on the VGA male connectors - they bend very easily and also still plug in

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online