1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Super slow. Videos won't play and internet is a slug!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buniki, Oct 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Buniki

Buniki Thread Starter

I've had my current desktop since 2014 and I've done everything from Photoshop to Netflix on it with passable results.
    I moved at the end of this July (2019) and since then it's been super slow and unable to play any video (audio has still been okay). Typing and drawing programs also lag quite a bit.
    On the quest to fix this issue I've replaced the graphics card, added ram, and just upgraded the power supply.
    The computer is running a bit faster but internet browsers and videos are still loading at an intolerable crawl or not at all.

I'm new to building/upgrading computers and would appreciate any help and advice.

My build is: (7601)
    MotherBoard: MSI MS-7850
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @ 3.20GHZ
    Graphics Card: EVGA xc NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHZ
    PowerSupplyUnit: EVGA SuperNova 650w G+ 80 plus Gold (120-GP-0650-XI)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually a computer runs slow because it is running too many programs at once. Perhaps, you have some programs that are running in the background always, like BitTorrent, servers etc. Or you may have malware.

To rule out malware, you can google for 'online scan' and you will get antivirus vendors like Trend Micro, F-Secure and ESET etc. These programs are free, but they do not update, and when installing, you have to wait a bit for them to download the whole virus database. Try several, because different viruses are known to different vendors.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

You said you moved, what is your advertised internet download speeds? Have you done a speed test? When I search for your board it comes back as a
    Z87-G41 PC MATE, Is this in a HP or something? Your Pentium CPU is rather low end, It could be replaced by a Xeon E3-1285 v3 that would be a big improvement.
    Compatible CPUS :https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z87-G41-PC-Mate#support-cpu

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

32 GB(8 GB X 4) DDR3-1600 MHz RAM

EVGA SuperNova 650W power supply

MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate motherboard

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a system builder nor a hardware expert, but I'm going to throw in "my 2 cents worth" of advice anyway.

That motherboard supports 4th generation Intel processors that are much better performing than the Intel Pentium G3258 that's currently in it.
    lynx1021 has provided you with the supported list of Intel processors.

Your system has a very impressive graphics card and plenty of RAM and a decent power supply.
    However, it's being severely bottlenecked by the processor that's currently in it.
    lynx1021 suggested a good choice which is a much better performer than the current processor.
    I'm partial to Intel Core i5/i7 models.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice