Superman vs. Batman

Who is "better" &/or who would win fight between them?

• Total voters

MSM Hobbes

Even if ya think there is a more superiour super hero than these two choices, the point of this meaningful quiz/poll is to debate just these two guys. ;)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0506210005jun21,1,5952153.story?page=1

A Superman zealot explores a curious cultural divide

By Julia Keller
Tribune cultural critic
Published June 21, 2005

Enough, already. Enough with the brooding towers of Gotham City and its dusky canyons of stone and steel and glass, its night-haunted streets, its cold spires im-paling the indigo sky.

Enough with the guy in the mask who soothes his poor orphan's heart by muscling around in a sports car that gets scandalously low gas mileage.

Enough, I say, with Batman.

It is time for discerning and conscientious citizens to rise up and boldly state the truth: Superman is better.

I know that last week's release of "Batman Begins" has made the title character once again ascendant in the pantheon of super heroes, his two-syllable moniker -- Batman-BatmanBatman -- chanted in theater lobbies nationwide. (Such a gauche and inelegant sound when compared with the sibilant hiss of Superman.)

I know that in terms of cinematic representation, Batman's way out in front.

But I don't care. I am reckless. I say it once more: Superman beats Batman, hands down.

And what better time than now -- as "Batman Begins" woos critics and audiences -- to explore why some people love Batman while others are true to Superman?

In the pop-culture world, this debate marks a fundamental divide. It's like a rock split in two by a lightning bolt: One chunk represents the Batman people. And the other chunk is the Superman people.

Without question, Batman rates much higher on the hip-ness scale. I faced this unfortunate truth long ago. When someone would yammer on about Batman, I would shyly murmur, "Yeah, well, but Superman's OK too," which was as far as I dared go in bucking the dominant paradigm.

This sentiment was often greeted with hoots, snorts, catcalls, put-downs. Superman? Why, Superman is so ....... earnest. So uncomplicated. So free of enticing ambiguity or sophisticated contradictions.

Superman is bright and cheerful and justice-loving. Batman is dark and nuanced and deeply conflicted.

Superman can't help but be super. Super powers coast in his blood; they're as permanent as the wave in his forelock. Batman, however, selected his fate. He chose to transform himself into a crime-fighter, to acquire a cool car, to stock his basement with fancy technology.

Batman can quit. Superman can't. Superman is still super, no matter what. Batman has to get up every morning and decide if this is the day he stops being Batman.

Superman -- as a character in the Quentin Tarantino film "Kill Bill: Vol. 2" (2004) notes -- must deny his amazing powers in the everyday world, hiding his spectacular abilities beneath the drab suit and ineptitude of Clark Kent. Batman, however, moves in the opposite direction: His disguise is to assume the mantle of hero, hiding not his powers but his ordinariness -- an ordinariness that he thwarts with souped-up doodads.

Superman fans are much more interested in what's innate, in genetics, in the destiny that twines in the barber pole of our DNA. Batman fans, on the other hand, are obsessed with self-creation and identity formation.

The essence of Superman's appeal: How to live with your gifts? But with Batman, the question is: How to transcend your origins?

Superman is about being; Batman is about becoming.

Superman hails from a faraway place -- the planet Krypton -- yet seems familiar. Batman arose from a close and familiar place -- you might have gone to high school with that handsome devil, Bruce Wayne -- yet seems like an alien creature.

In terms of artistic representations, Batman fans have a lot more to brag about. The movies based on their hero are much cooler

The Superman movies are campy and silly; they seem to be mocking themselves. They turn Superman (played gamely but ineffectually by Christopher Reeve) into a big Boy Scout, a handsome buffoon. Not only do bullets bounce off his chest -- so, too, do any darts of irony or self-awareness.

Batman, however, has been allowed to evolve into a fascinating character on movie screens and in the many graphic novels that continue to re-tell his story. Yet the score may be evening a bit; recent graphic novels such as "It's a Bird... " (Vertigo, 2004) by Steven T. Seagle and Teddy Kristiansen are quirky, eloquent, even moving recapitulations of the Superman myth.

So there's hope for Superman -- hope that he might emerge from the long twilight of Batman's pop-culture shadow.

In the meantime, those who love Batman will root for their guy, and the Superman fans will pull for theirs, and each side will remain convinced that the other side is a bunch of losers who wouldn't know a decent superhero if he crashed right through the sliding-glass patio door at suppertime.

Batman people -- I pity you. But I'll never understand you.

- - -

If you love Superman . . .
YOUR FAVORITE COLORS ARE . . . Bright, bold, and primary :eek:
YOU TRAVEL . . . Alone (y)
YOU REVERE . . . Strength, grace (y)
YOU BELIEVE IN . . . Truth and justice (y)
YOUR FAVORITE GADGET IS . . . None. Who needs gadgets? :eek:
YOU THINK HOLLYWOOD . . . Doesn't understand purity of heart or nobility of purpose. (y)
YOU ARE . . . Shallow but sincere
YOUR FAVORITE TIME OF DAY IS . . . Morning :eek:

If you love Batman . . .
YOUR FAVORITE COLORS ARE . . .Muted, muddy, and murky (y)
YOU TRAVEL . . . With a sidekick (n)
YOU REVERE . . . Intelligence, canniness (y)
YOU BELIEVE IN . . . Vengeance and skullduggery :D
YOUR FAVORITE GADGET IS . . .Everything. Gadgets rock! (y)
YOU THINK HOLLYWOOD . . . Gets it.
YOU ARE . . . Deep and ironic (y)
YOUR FAVORITE TIME OF DAY IS . . . Midnight (y)

It's hard to say why I chose batman, as the two are equally amazing, it's just something about a normal person, CHOOSING to transcend his origins and become more.

Batman is a better read but in a fight it would be Superman. Come on the only thing that can harm him is Kryptonite.
You really need a four choice poll. Who do you like better and who would win a fight are two questions.

Lurker1 said:
Batman is a better read but in a fight it would be Superman. Come on the only thing that can harm him is Kryptonite.
You really need a four choice poll. Who do you like better and who would win a fight are two questions.
Yeah, but batman would create kryptonite bullets or something...

MSM Hobbes

Lurker, yea, I thought about creating a poll w/ 4 choices, but,,, after much internal debate ;) I decided to force the issue, where a person just HAD to choose between one or the other, AND then potentially have more desire to discuss their reason as to why they picked that one superhero - and leave it to further discussion as to all the "why's". :)

Me, I think S'man would most likely win a battle between the two, but, still I choose Batman - similar to what Gibble said, he 'choose' his path, not 'born into it'; and since I'm more of a free-will person, instead of predetermination, and since he likes caves, darkness, gadgets, and is a night owl ;), Batman gets my vote, every time. (y)

[BTW, guess I better insert this disclaimer now... :p Of course, Mulder may get upset and claim that he should be the one and only choice in this poll :rolleyes: - in such case, let it be known that the above two choices are REAL "fictional supermen", whereas M'man is a "fictional superman" in his {and a few other misguided peoples'} minds only...

j/k!!! :D

sortof... ;)]

Well Its a nice thought but since both questions are opposite I'm just not voting. :p :p

Gibble

"Yeah, but batman would create kryptonite bullets or something..."

Would that be before or after Superman drops a house on him? :D

I'm picturing that the fight goes something like a Bugs Bunny cartoon where they start by dropping an anvil on someone and build up from there :D :D

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
This seems to be an argument over strength vs intelligence.

Superman has natural ability to deal with any problems

Batman has problem-solving ability to create solutions to problems his natural ability cannot solve.
:cool:

Ah, but batman also has all his kickass devices. And all the vehicles. Superman can fly, but batman can fly and shoot missiles at the same time.

MSM Hobbes

Ciber & Big-K - (y), and I'll take intelligence & free-will over strength & destiny, any day. :cool:

Plus it's a well-known fact that if you're arch-enemy is an industrialist(lex luther) you suck. It doesn't apply to you're arch-enemy being an alternate version of yourself though, as spiderman is like that as well, and spider is obviously kickass.

AH well despite what you guys say, Superman is best. The category is superheroes, who save the world. Superman could save the world or a person so much better than Batman. And besides, Batman has that dorky-lookin' sidekick kid who wears green undies. At least Superman wears tights in addition to his undies.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
But if we're really talking about who would win in a fight, Superman could always spin the world backward and go back in time if he doesn't like the way the fight turned out. Unless he's dead, I guess. But he couldn't be dead unless it was from kryptonite. And even if it was kryptonite, he could put himself into that pseudo-coma where the kryptonite can't kill him. I'm combining a strange hybrid of the movies, TV show and comic books so I'll shut up now. :D

I think Superman would win though. He's indestructible (except kryptonite) and you can kill batman in several ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts