support.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raji

Hi,
I have sony vaio notebook, with preinsalled win xp home.
There's a folder called support.com on my notebook and tgcmd.exe file is always active in my task manager processes.
I wanted to know, if its a kind of spy ware and some information is at risk?
Also some times I see a DNA kind of small animation running in my system tray, it disappears automatically after a few mins, it doesn't respond on left right or diouble click, but placing cursor on that icon shows "support.com protecting". Any ideas or comments?

Raj

cnm

From http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM:
Program Name: Tgcmd Executable Name: tgcmd.exe

Required: NO!! Virus, spyware, or resource hog

Comments: Spyware as above. TGCMD is also part of Sony's Vaio support agent - designed by Support.com. If TGCMD is disabled, it will be necessary to recover the computer in order to use it again
I think this refers to using tgcmd again, not to using the PC again :)

And this from the full Startyp List http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/start_ups.exe
TgAddServer tgfix.exe Part of a program called Tioga from Support.com - included on @Home service installation disc. It's installation was so you could get your @Home service updated automatically without having to go to their pages and downloading the newest patches, however.. it's also spyware (info here) the company distributes on it's installation disc and uses to collect information on your computer, where you've been, what you've downloaded, etc. It's not only safe to disable, I'd highly recommend it unless you like other people looking inside your computer. Removal procedure here

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts