1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Support on NTL World Email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bradley27, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bradley27

bradley27 Thread Starter

Okay bit of a riddler i think....

I am trying to add my mothers old NTL World email account onto her new Outlook (Hotmail), now im abit mythed with how to go about filling the server information for outbound and incoming. To be fair its something i know very little about, there are sections for port number as well. Can anyone assist in what i need to fill out on the Outlook add an account section and the correct settings to get all her old emails to bleed into this new Outlook email?

Would be great! Virgin Media took over NTL World some years ago now....

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I assume she is on a cable service now , as virgin passed all the Telephone broadband services over to Talktalk just recently

Can you also explain a little more on what you are thinking about doing with the statement

4. bradley27

bradley27 Thread Starter

So basically theres aload of old and important emails on this NTL address.

Now she has since been given a hand me down laptop to replace the old laptop (because she kept dropping it carelessly). Now since NTL was brought out or merged into Virgin its not as easy as to just call them up and try to get support as theyre not all that helpful at all.

She has since made a new Outlook email and was hoping i would then add the NTL one into this outlook email which would be the base of inbound emails for both NTL and Outlook emails.

The issue was finding the correct server details. I had seen that page already but it failed to go through....

Below is what i think is right? This is on outlook (hotmail) add an account page...it says the password or email are incorrect which they clearly arent...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  5. bradley27

bradley27 Thread Starter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried using the POP settings instead?

Have you looked through the email settings in the NTL account to see if you need to enable POP or IMAP support? Some services have these disabled now until you turn them on.

7. bradley27

bradley27 Thread Starter

Tried both POP and IMAP.
    Not sure where i would check to see if these services are active or not??

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. bradley27

bradley27 Thread Starter

I tried logging in there and it wouldnt go through...Its a real headache trying to crack this.

10. bradley27

bradley27 Thread Starter

I think the POP Access is disabled as you said...not sure how or where i can get this enabled.

Im meant to be visiting and ive been lumbered with IT support which even i am having struggles with

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In post # 5 my guess is that 'User name' should be the part of the 'Email address' before the @.

But if you can't login to the web mail I doubt that it matters what the User name is.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to be able to log into web mail, if you cannot then the username and password are not correct.

Also, if you log into the web mail you can setup forwarding to this account, much easier.

14. bradley27

bradley27 Thread Starter

We have found a work around for the moment, but thanks all for your help up till now. I have suggested that the new outlook email now be the primary.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!