1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

supporting > 4gb RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scrapbox32, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scrapbox32

scrapbox32 Thread Starter

hi all .. im looking to (cheaply) build a PC that can take advantage of all the greater ram made possible by windows 7 64 bit.

id like to set something up with about 8 - 12 gb of RAM if possible.

i was looking @ the GA-P67A-UD4-B3:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759#ov

the above link say this in specs:

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
    * Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
    Dual channel memory architecture
    Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
    Support for non-ECC memory modules
    Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
    (Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)

I am unable to understand what that means practically.

does that mean i the MB can support 32gb of memory?

2. Sharma7

Sharma7

The motherboard can support up to 32gb of RAM as long as you have 64-bit Windows (which means it'll work in 64bit Windows 7).
    That's what it means by all that fancy talk.

3. scrapbox32

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You say you want to "cheaply" build a computer for Windows 7(64-bit), but you're willing to spend about $470.00 for a motherboard and 4 GB of RAM?

I'd be much more inclined to buy computer parts at a reliable source such as www.newegg.com instead of buying them on eBay and not knowing what you're getting.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, that's what it means. But why? I am using 12 GB's of RAM right now but have never seen my system, even with 20 or more programs running, use more than 3 GB's or so of RAM. That is why I set up Ramdisks in the majority of memory. That much RAM made boot times very slow, of course, but some other things taking place in RAM very fast.

6. scrapbox32

living in australia, newegg is not an option for me unfortunately.

cheap is relative i guess. $470 is cheap compared to what they charge for systems like that one in stores. having said that if you know of any online stores with cheap postage in australia id love to know about them.

7. scrapbox32

that's weird. i know a system wouldnt use 12gb or ram, but youd think with 20 applications open it could at least use 4 or so?

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

RAM is like eating, there's a sweet spot for 99.99% of all users, but in a land of plenty...everybody gets too much RAM if they're not careful!
    Seriously though, lots of RAM comes in handy very very sparingly on home user systems but something like a multiple virtualized server, where one can assign say, 4 gig of RAM to each of 8 virtual servers....that's the bee's knees!

9. scrapbox32

so unless youre virtualising operating systems > 4g is useless? what about say if you are rendering video in adobe premiere whilst you have adobe photoshop open at the same time and are playing a game at the same time?

10. Hughv

Hughv

Attached Files:

11. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

No, just that there's a sweet spot for 99.99% of all users. There can be instances where lots of RAM will smooth out a rough patch or what not. I've been rendering while gaming and it almost works but there always seems to be a slight surging hesitation (in the game) but I suspect that's because I'm putting too much demand on the processor, not the RAM, and while its managing it well, for gaming it needs to be perfect.

It might go two ways form here I think, either processors will get so fast and monsterous that more and more RAM is needed to keep up or non-volitile memory (maybe SSDs will be the technology) will be able to exchange so rapidly that RAM will become largely redundant and only useful in certain caching capacities, like running a bunch of virtual servers on one system maybe. Should be interesting at least.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice