1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Supreme Commander 2 ping spike

Discussion in 'Games' started by JColt, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JColt

JColt Thread Starter

When playing multiplayer game of supcom usually has to be more than 2 players I get high ping spikes of over 1,000. I have attached my dxdiag. Speed test earlier today was 16MB/s download and 1mb/s upload with a ping of 136ms. I have a Motorola surfboard model SB5120 modem and a new Netgear model wndr3700 router. I have tried both with the router and direct and still get the same result.

Supcom2 plays through Steam but have the same issue with supcom1 which does not use steam.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. peck1234

peck1234

3. JColt

JColt Thread Starter

No problems

Packet loss 0%
    Ping: 27ms
    Jitter: 8ms

Grade A

ISP: WideOpenWest

4. peck1234

peck1234

Hope the below helps you out...

1. See if there is any network driver updates for you rig at dell.com

2.While gaming make sure no other processes are using the internet ( no downloading )

3. Temporarily disable Your Firewall

4. Temporarily disable Your Anti-Virus

5. Try another modem...

Also please be aware that the ping spikes you are experiencing could be from the HOST and not you. Try being the host and see if the problem still exists..

5. sandninja

sandninja

If your computer is primarily used for gaming you might want to look into "Leatrix Latency Fix" just google it. Its meant for wow, but will work with any network based game that cominicates using the TCP protocol. What the fix does is modify how your computer uses the TCP protocol - Networking protols are built for efficency above speed, that means to reduce network traffic your computer prefers to talk in short bursts instead of relaying information as soons as its available. The result is apoximately a 100MS increase in your ping times. Leatrix Latency Fix undoes this. If you only use your computer for gaming and light web surfing there should be no issues aplying this fix, however if you do heavy downloading or cosnstantly tansfer gigabytes of information across the network, this may cause problems for you.

6. JColt

JColt Thread Starter

I tried some speed and line quality tests also...

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2633978
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2633975

but no change even if i host the games.
    Problem only happens once there are 5+ players.

Thanks again for any info.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice