Surface RT got BSoD now in BitLocker Recovery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

2talll

So I had a photo slideshow going the other night and got an error that the device suffered and unexpected error and needs to close. When it started I got the blue screen that I have attached. None of the BitLocker options worked as they just said no changes were made and returned me to the blue option page. Entered my botlocker key and everything, and still nothing. Tried refreshing and reinstalling using botlocker and nothing. Made a ISO on a USB of windows to try that and when I plug it in, the Surface starts to open and says entering BotLOcker Recovery and goes right to the blue options page. No matter what I try it always goes back the blue options page.

There's nothing on it I need as it was just a photo slide show basically, but even reinstalling Windows clear isnt working. What am I doing wrong.

One weird thing I noticed yesterday... it wouldnt take the password to log into my account that it took hours before.

Attachments

2talll

On that options page, try troubleshoot and then start up repair.
Tried that, it says no changes has been made and goes back to the options page.

It's like its "stuck" in Bitlocker recovery which isn't working and ignoring the USB that has the ISO on it. No matter what I try in the options page (short of the command prompt which I have no idea what I would type in) it goes to a black screen, then "Surface" where it says loading BitLocker and then goes right back to the options page.

To make a Windows Setup USB, download MS Media Creation Tool. Run it to Generate a USB/DVD. Then you can boot that.

2talll

To make a Windows Setup USB, download MS Media Creation Tool. Run it to Generate a USB/DVD. Then you can boot that.
I did that already. I have the USB plugged in and when I turn the surface on, it goes to the blue options page. When I try opening trough USB, the same thing happens.It says loading bitlocker recovery and then goes right back to the options page.

2talll

You did change the Boot Priority in BIOS so that the USB boots first, right?
Ive got no idea how to do that, even if any of the directions I’ve seen mentioned that. I was told it’s as simple as plugging in the usb and the surface would read it first

Make sure the Surface Pro device is turned off.
Hold the volume-up button.
Press and release the power button.
When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-up button.
The Surface UEFI firmware interface screen will be displayed and you can make changes.

Look for Boot Order or Boot Priority.

2talll

The Surface UEFI firmware interface screen will be displayed and you can make changes.

I’m about to smash the damn thing. It won’t turn on while holding the volume up button.

2talll

I just read that it’s supposed to be volume down to do it, but that doesn’t work either! Whenever I’m holding either volume button the thing will not turn on. As soon as I let go of the volume it’ll turn on and go right into preparing bitlocker and that damn option page.

2talll

Is there a way to get to this through command prompts or using the keyboard if I can find it? It still goes straight to bitlocker even when I do the volume down.

The BIOS boots first and then hands over the controls to the operating system. Usually on most machines, there is a key you can press during BIOS boot up to select Where the operating system resides: drive c, USB, network etc. Just need to find that key for your machine.

2talll

The BIOS boots first and then hands over the controls to the operating system. Usually on most machines, there is a key you can press during BIOS boot up to select Where the operating system resides: drive c, USB, network etc. Just need to find that key for your machine.
Any idea what that key would be? Also, I’m shocked there isn’t a command prompt that would work. This is so frustrating because it SHOULD be a simple thing to fix and I don’t really have a hundred bucks or whatever a computer shop would charge to do it.
And the worst part is I asked this guy in town who works on computers and he told me it’s as simple as downloading into the UsB and plugging in the usb and then it’ll do everything on its own. When that didn’t work he got rude and said he can do it very easily for me if only him.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online