1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Surface Scan Problem (Bad Sectors)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by angie8169, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angie8169

angie8169 Thread Starter

Hello!

Yesterday when I turned on my computer it did the scan saying that i did not shut down properly last time etc. Then it went into a Surface Scan fixing all my bad clusters, there are alot of bad clusters and a screen would come up saying "fix" "stop" (it said something else and i do not remember). So everytime my computer ran into a bad cluster it would ask me what i wanted to do and it would not proceed until i told it to. Well my computer ran for approximately 7 hours and I was not even done, I had to shut down. I then came to work today and one of our "computer knowledgeable" people said that my hard drive was going? Then another person told me that I needed to run this scan competently to fix my bad clusters? Which is it and how can i make it go automatically, i can not sit in front of my computer for hours just to keep hitting the "f" key for "fix it". Is the surface scan the same thing as the scan disk that you can run with windows? HELP ME!!!

2. Dark Mage

Dark Mage

Do the thorough scan and tick the box that says "Automatically fix errors".

If it's finding quite a few bad clusters, I'd say that it may be time to replace the HDD.

3. angie8169

angie8169 Thread Starter

I can not even do the scan, the first thing that comes up is the "you did not shut down properly" it goes through that scan then the surface scan comes up. HDD? Please explain.

4. Dark Mage

Dark Mage

HDD is hard disk drive, sorry...
    Try booting up into DOS by pressing the ... I believe the F8 key while it's booting up. At the command prompt, type in scandisk and you should then have the option to do the full scan.

5. angie8169

angie8169 Thread Starter

sorry, i should of known that! I will try the scan tonight when i get home from work. Thanks for the info. So if that does not work then you think it would be a bad hard drive. Now for another questions, I learned today that there is an external and internal drive?

6. angie8169

angie8169 Thread Starter

Hey, I really could use some help. After running the scandisk my report came back and said i have bad sectors and gave me the number. Does that mean my hard drive is going, and if so which drive, internal or external?

7. Moby

Moby

Windows can mark bad sectors of a drive to not be used which is fine as long as there's nothing already written to these sectors. Did you set scandisk to 'automatically fix errors'. Bad sectors are generally not a good sign. Make sure you back up what you don't want to loose just incase.
    Which drive depends on which drive you scanned. If it scanned all drives then it should have given you the drive letter of the affected drive with the bad sector info.

8. angie8169

angie8169 Thread Starter

Well I had a lot of "bad sectors" I am very concerned because everytime i start my computer now it does the scan saying i did not shut down properly and then it wants to go directly into the surface scan.

9. angie8169

angie8169 Thread Starter

by the way yes i did mark to fix automatically and it took 2 days and i believe it only checked the c drive?

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I've merged both of your threads, in the future, please keep posting to the same thread regarding the same problem.

11. axemall

axemall

i would back up the data and then replace the drive. if there are more than 8 or 9 bad sectors, things will get worse. the drive is probably making kind of a sandpaper sound when you access it correct?
    it is the internal hd, what brand of computer is it, is there a warranty?

12. angie8169

angie8169 Thread Starter

Nope no warranty and yes it does make that sand paper sound. It has tons of bad sectors. So replace the internal drive before I lose everything?

13. axemall

axemall

Thats what i would do you are definitely on borrowed time

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice