1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Surface Scan Test Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sunshiine, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunshiine

sunshiine Thread Starter

Hi my computer has been acting up lately (ie. running slow, freezing...etc..) so I ran the Surface Scan test error from PC doctor. It gave me this one error which read : HD535-2W
    I ran the test again and once again on the short-self test it gave me a similar error which read: HD521-2W

I'm not sure what these error messages mean and was wondering if someone could help me out in understanding this better. Also what I should do to fix my computer?

:confused:

Really appreciate it,
    SK

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

One is a SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis And Reporting Technology) error, the other is a surface scan error.

Backup all critical data now, sounds like the drive is on the way out.

3. sunshiine

sunshiine Thread Starter

thanks kiwiguy.

Is there anything I can do to stop this now before the hd crashes?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Not really just back up all of your important data to another media like CD-R's, DVD or thumb drive etc and them make sure you have your recovery software for this computer and then purchase a new hard drive and go to work.

I wish there were better news but unfortunately there is not.

5. sunshiine

sunshiine Thread Starter

Thank you ozrom1e.

Should I try a system recovery first to see if that works? Or am I definitely going to need a new hd?

Sorry, don't mean to sound repetitive but I'm just trying to find different solutions to this problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice