Surface scan test FAILED

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

meand3midgets

I have a HP Pavilion Slimline s3707c PC. Hardware Diagnostic Tools monthly test ran last night and the surface scan test failed :eek: I don't have warranty anymore, and I don't know what's wrong with it :confused: Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out and fix it? :(
Thanks so much!!! :D

Triple6

Rob
It means your hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced ASAP.

meand3midgets

It's not even old! How does something like this happen, and how do I replace the hard drive?

dai

they can fail straight out of the box

backup what you wish to keep or slave it to a new drive and drag what you want off when you have the new drive up and running

or most new drives there is a utility available to transfer everything over on the makers download page

to change the drive over

turn the computer off and remove the power cord

disconnect the power and data cable

take the screws out of each side

slide the drive out

slide the new drive in

put in the screws

replug the plugs into it

replug the power plug in the back of it

turn the computer on

meand3midgets

So I just need to get a new PC then, right? I didn't know you could replace hard drives. Lol. I just had a bunch of crap removed last week(malware, virus, etc.). Would it be wise to get a new PC?...is there a PC you think, in your opinion, that would run better and last longer than this one?

dai

you don't usually replace a computer because a hard drive failed,you just replace the drive

Triple6

Rob
The Pavilion Slimline s3707c is from 2008, that's a decent time for a computer if you haven't had any failures and as mentioned stuff can fail right out the box. PC components fail all the time, as does everything. You can get the PC fixed for under $100 by yourself or about $200 if you get someone to do it for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online