surface scan test failed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joemull

hello !
surface scan and smart short self test failed
i tried a factory restore but it failed saying no preboot file found.
any ideas or advice please
my homepage now has a box with a row of circles across it and a red circle running back and forth thru it ?

Triple6

Rob
The failures mean your hard drive is faulty and you will need to purchase a new hard drive to replace it.

joemull

is there a general timeline that i would be able to continue using the laptop for b4 replacing the hard drive, i am at the moment unable to reload adobe and therefor have no access to internet radio or linked posts. this all started with an I/O error on skype and the techs there had me do several things over a 3 day period and i seem to have lost programns

Triple6

Rob
Nope. How can someome give a timeline on an already broken part? And you are already seeing the effects of the faulty drive.

joemull

thank you so much for helping me,
i didnt get windows vista disc with the laptop wen i bought it new , s there anyway of saving it to an external device or will i also need to buy a windows vista disk also.
once again thank you

SUEOHIO

SUE
If the hard drive is totally gone there might not be much left to salvage. if you dont have a vista disk you might have to purchase one.

joemull

i am still using the laptop, i just cant access some programns , a box has appeared on my home page with a flashing circle going back and forth in it , is it relevant to the hard disk and is it safe to restart the laptop as it say "please wait". thank you also for ur help

Triple6

Rob
With modern systems you do not get a recovery disc, you have to make one. There should have been prompts when you first got it to make a set of recovery discs and you may still be able to create a set. You haven't told us what the make and model of the laptop is so that we tell you how to make the recovery discs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online