Surface Windows RT 8.1 Network Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheOracle01

Hi there,

I looked through the search to find a solution to this particular problem and was quite shocked to noticed there wasn't really any threads relating to the Surface RT 8.1.

So here it is, The Problem: Is to do with a Surface Windows RT 8.1 not being able to connect to the internet. All it says in the networks available section, when i try to connect to my home network, it says 'can't connect to network', also it has connected to other networks such as the library and another friends house.
Stats of the Surface RT:

Model - Surface (that's all it says, its not a fancy surface 1, 2, 3 or pro)
Operating system - Windows RT 8.1
Ram - 2gb
Processor - NVIDIA(r) TEGRA Quad core
System type - 32 bit operating system

This is what i have tried so far none of which have worked:

- Disabling the WiFi adapter in network settings then re enabling it
- Statically assigning the IP address to remotely access the internet
- IP release, renew and flush. The error that i got when i tried to do this was, "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 3 while it has its media disconnected, no operation can be performed on WiFi while it has it's media disconnected"
- Restarting it a bunch of times

Every other device in the house works and is connected, which made me think it was the driver, but it wouldn't be able to connect to other networks if that was the case.

Some assistance with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Sounds like it can't authenticate with you router. What router do you have? What firmware version is the router running? What type of wireless encryption are you using?

For the RT models your only source for the software uodates, drivers, and firmware is Microsoft Update, just like on Android and Apple devices. So you could connect at another location and run Microsoft Update to ensure it's fully up to date.

TheOracle01

My router is the Technicolor TG797n

Software version - 15.3

Firmware Version - 15.53.6469.510-RA

Encryption - WPA2 PSK

Assistance with this is muchly appreciated :D

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online