1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

surge protector and connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by charlieyn3, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlieyn3

    charlieyn3 Thread Starter

    Dec 12, 2008
    recently i bought two surge protectors because i wanted to connect two house that are about 60metres apart from each other via a cat 5 cable, the question is how do i cable the connections? from my first house i have a router that's acting as my dhcp, so if i make a straight cable to the next house i get internet connectivity, without using any of the surge protectors. now i need to install the surge protectors just after my router and also just before the pc i am connecting 60metres away. do i use a cross over in-between or i use a straight cable and where do i earth the surge protectors?

    please help
  2. TerryNet

    TerryNet Moderator

    Mar 23, 2005
    First Name:
    To connect two houses by ethernet cable get, or at least consult, a qualified electrician. Also, if you do it yourself check for local building codes that may apply. Other than that we cannot advise. Closing.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029445

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice