1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Surprise Ingredients In Fast Food

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 5, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Article here.

Includes review of:
    McDonald’s
    Burger King
    Taco Bell
    Wendy’s
    Subway
    KFC

-- Tom

2. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    This is odd.. man i love the Wendys taco salad...

"It’s puzzling to try to understand why their chili would need to include an anti-caking agent such as silicon dioxide (also known as sand, or glass powder)."

3. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Not that surprising, their chili could be sitting in a warming pot for an entire day. Without the "anti-caking" agent it would become an unrecognizable gluey mess. I guess ingredients like those are the price we pay for needing our food on demand, for our unwillingness to wait while what we want is being prepared. Really all the fast food places are trying to do is meet the unreasonable expectations placed on them by society (mind you that doesn't diminish the fact that they brought those expectations upon themselves by constantly trying to one up each other through their clever / devious add campaigns)

4. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    But, I make chili at home and keep it warm for 2-3 days... i dont ever take it from the crock pot to the fridge... just leave it warm and i dont use any cake agents....

So unless they are serving me 5 day old chili... yuk!

5. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I do the same, but when was the chili made that is used at the FF place? I suspect they receive it precooked, flash frozen in a vacuum sealed bag. All ready to drop into the warming pot, all ready at the desired consistency. They receive it in its ready to serve optimum state (well optimum by their standards), to maintain that state .... use anti-caking agents.
    Like mine I would imagine that the longer it sits the thicker your chili gets :p

6. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    Dang it. im not getting a taco salad for a month till i forget all about this thread!

DM dang it!!!! why yah gotta ruin my favorite FF food

7. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

lol .. sorry ashes
    I live on FF (one of the downsides of being a bachelor), have always managed to turn a blind eye to what I don't want to know about it. Guess I shouldn't assume everyone else can do the same :eek:

8. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    I dont each too much "FF" in the technical since.. although.. I do go down to the bar and have one of the girls make me a tenderloin & cheese sticks usually once a week.. gotta have that grease :)

9. RSM123

RSM123

10. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    ha... never seen that URL before.. interesting

11. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

OMG....super gaggg....and I know tons of people that frequent and almost live on these:eek:

12. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    I can assure you it's not received precooked, flash frozen in a vacuum sealed bag. Each batch of chili is made "fresh" (what you can call fresh from fast food standards) daily and kept in a "semi-liquid state" by stirring every 15 minutes and adding a slight amount of water as needed. I can tell you for sure it does get thicker as the day goes on and it's only reheated once (the next day) so it's not 5 days old.

As far as the Anti-Caking agents... I'll have to look at the individual boxes the ingredients come in to see what it's used for.

Ash... Don't worry, it's safe to continue to eat the Taco Salads, I eat them all the time (along with the Chili alone) and I'm still as normal as always.

Yes, I am unfortunately talking from experience here.

13. katonca

katonca

Isn't that the truth. I was raised on meals as close to "homemade" as possible. Fresh ingredients were the norm. I notice now, the meals/snacks/deserts that can be bought pre-assembled and frozen. I was watching a cooking show on "how they make it" the other night. One article was on mashed potatoes that are placed in a container and then refridgerated. That's not the amazing part. The amazing part is the process and the cost there-of, of doing this. Considering how simple it is to make mashed potatoes, why would the creator of the prefab version even have thought there would be such a demand for his product (especially considering the process needed to make such large quanities)?

14. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    I cant understand the people who buy those tators. thats crazyness! it takes 4 minutes to make fake boxed tators.. and probably 2 minutes to heat those really fake tators up.

15. katonca

katonca

Hi ash :)

I guess convenience rules. To peel the potatoes takes alittle work but I think homemade could be made to taste better (not sure, coz I never tried the pre-made).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice