1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

surround sound and sound cards /dvd's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlg0187, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlg0187

dlg0187 Thread Starter

i just bought the logitech z-640's

logitech 640's

all i have left is 20 bucks to complete this computer i am building....
    so i narrowed it down to 3 sound cards. i just want to watch a dvd movie in surround sound with the 640's.

this chaintech says it supports dolby digital 5.1...
    chaintech

but look at this aopen
    aopen

it says it has all these special features...but doesnt even mention anything about dolby digital...will i be able to watch dvd's in surround sound with the aopen?

i am soooo lost please help...o yeah... i also found this powmax
    powmax

what will sound better with the 640's? i know the cards are cheap i guess...but all i got is AROUND $20... the chaintech says it supports dolby digital...but doesnt have as much features as the aopen....the aopen has many features... but doesnt support dolby digital...what to do?

2. dlg0187

dlg0187 Thread Starter

do i really need a sound card?

3. pronute

pronute

No, the Realtek ALC650 6-Channel AC'97 CODEC is far better then the sound cards that you listed your money is better spent on a speakers to match the capabilities of your onboard audio.

4. dlg0187

dlg0187 Thread Starter

i forgot to say that im building a computer for a friend and the motherboard he has is a C-Media CMI9738/4CH AC'97 CODEC

i am not sure that he will be able to take advantage of the 640's with that onboard sound. my question is which soundcard?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. dlg0187

dlg0187 Thread Starter

ill buy that i guess thanks everyone

7. dlg0187

dlg0187 Thread Starter

how are you supposed to connect a 5.1 speaker system to...say the onboard sound phonejack of a motherboard that supports 6 channel audio? it only has one line out, a line in, and mic. dont i need about 3 phonejacks, line outs?? i heard something about splitters...???

8. defunct

defunct

there are usually options for the number of speakers which swap the mic and line in to extra outs, thats how mine works anyway...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/243618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice