1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Surround sound on Realtek AC97

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ste2223, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Hi. I have bought a 5.1 speaker system and I was wondering if it was compatable with my Realtek AC97 audio sound card? I have the speakers plugged in and sound only comes out of 2 speakers and the sub woofer. If it's not compatable is there any software I can get or will i have to get a new sound card? Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll have to be more specific on your sound chip; I'm assuming its onboard then you need to look up your motherboard and see what it supports - it might just need to be configured. If it doesn't support 5.1 then you need to buy a new soundcard. If you do need to buy one take a look at Creative's offerings: www.creative.com

3. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

How do I find out more about it? Thanks!

4. colmaca

colmaca

first open the AC97 audio configuration tool,click on speaker configuration.there are tabs on it for speaker configuration and where to plug all in.
    also go to control panel and click on sound and audio devices,you will find a tab speaker settings go advanced and in speaker set-up choose 5-1 suround

5. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Ok. I went into the ac97 audio configuration and it tells me to put different speakers into different socets. I don't want to do this. The speakers came with a central thing where everthing is plugged into and from that there is 1 lead which goes into the sound card. It worked on my other system with a c-media sound card. Is there anyway to to do it with my current sound card?

6. colmaca

colmaca

well mine got the central control unit for souround sound where all the speakers plug into,and from there ,there is 3 plugs that go in front,back and center/sub-woofer.
    maybe if you post the type off suround sound kit i'll look it up on the web and post back

7. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Its an NTECH 5.1 Home Theater System. Thanks!

8. colmaca

colmaca

well i couldn't find any thing on the plugs at the back off it so carn't help anymore,sorry.
    all i know is that you need 3 plugs to back off computer

9. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Ok I have all the plugs in the back of the computer but I get different speakers working for different socets. I have tried all possabilities for the 3 plugs but I can't get it working. Any sugestions?

10. colmaca

colmaca

right mind my drawing is not good but here

[​IMG]

this is how mine is set up the 6 outs from the souround kit go into 3 and plug into the red,blue and green at the back off computer..hope this helps

11. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

My setup is simaler. Attached is a pic of how mine is. I have all the speakers working but its strange. The only way I can get it to work is if I use the front port and then put the wire in half way into the surround port. If I put the wire in all the way the surround speakers go off. I've tried putting the third wire in but this also turns some speakers off. Do you know why it will only work with the wire in half way? Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. colmaca

colmaca

as you see by my pic and yours i hav 6 to computer that turn into 3,and you have 3.the pins that plug into my computer are sort off double plugs.like they have a rubber bit seperating the 2 parts.if you put a wire into your holes at the back only 1/2 way it will make connection only to the first part off the plug,and by putting it all the way in it's making connection with both parts causing a stuff up.
    i think thats what you need some plugs to suit like the 1's they use for headphones the rubber bit to seperate the sections

13. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

My lead do have a band so that they go in half way. The problem is trying to make the speakers work correctly. I can get them all to play sound but they arnt right because the surround speakers should play surround sounds which they don't. On my other system they worked fine because of xear 3d. Is there any programs I can get for my realtek sound card. Are any of your speakers in only half way? If so which ones?

14. colmaca

colmaca

maybe your sound card/onboard sound is not suround sound?do you know the make and model of your card or motherboard?

15. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

How would I find out that? Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!