1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Surround sound with stereo speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TazG, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TazG

TazG Thread Starter

Hi I want to know if I can get surround sound with my SB Live and two sets of stereo speakers. How?
    And is there a way I can use all 4 speakers and only 1 transformer?

2. Smokey212

Smokey212

probably not, have to have a center speaker for voice, and a subwoofer for low freqs. plus a channel splitter to send the proper signals to speakers. Don't know if SB live can do that, might...

Surround sound systems are pretty cheap and worth the price.

3. WarC

WarC

Yes, the SB Live! Has a front speaker output and rear speaker output. Two different sets of speakers can be used as a surround sound setup - the bad part is you have to manually adjust the balance between front and rear...which is irritating to say the least if you have to turn the volume all the way down to turn the speakers off.

No, you cannot run all four speakers off the same transformer. They probably use different voltages anyways.

4. zeddy

zeddy

But it wont be true surround sound without the centre speaker.

5. Smokey212

Smokey212

not to mention a subwoofer to fill out the sound spectrum. at best you will have 4 channel stereo.

true surround sound moves the focus of sound in discrete ways that stereo can not reproduce. really the only way is to get a sound system that is 5.1 or 6.1 dolby, patch it into your sound card and then rock the house.

6. TazG

TazG Thread Starter

OK, I'm confused. Do I get surround sound or not? I know it won't be as good as if I buy a real system with subwoofer and stuff but with SB Live and stereo speakers will I get rear sounds coming from the rear and front sounds from front? And I have tried plugging the second set of speakers into the other ports but it doesn't seem to be working. The front speakers are in "digital out"... how is it supposed to be set up?

7. Smokey212

Smokey212

you won't have surround sound, you will have some sound coming from behind you. if the front speakers are digital out, do they have shielded plug output jacks on them? if so, try to plug your rear speakers into them.

I understand you are doing this on the cheap, and having done that myself many times, you usually don't get what you want. If you just want some room filling sound, will be OK, but incomplete.

also, while thinking about it, are the rear speakers self powered? You click of a "transformer". I assume the front speakers have a serperate power supply, is that correct.

And since you are trying to get some decent sound, a subwoofer would add considerably to your enjoyment, and they are cheap. they are omni-directional so only need one, place it on the floor close to a wall if possible

8. TazG

TazG Thread Starter

So you're saying I would only get the same sound behind as in front...? WarC seems to be saying that the SB Live is able to get surround sound from that setup...
    Shielded plug, eh? What's that?
    And the rear speakers... I don't have any yet. I have been using my headphones to test for surround sound.

9. Smokey212

Smokey212

10. pronute

pronute

Check out SRS they give you 3D sound with to speakers, they have software and hardware solutions.
    http://www.srslabs.com/

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/241732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice