1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Surround Sound!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryan Sanders, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ryan Sanders

Ryan Sanders Thread Starter

Ok. I want to get surround sound. I have already chosen my speakers.. but now I need a new audio card (i have onboard audio which sucks).. so I am looking for a card under $45 that will support 5.1 and all of that stuff..

BTW.. I am living in an apartment right now.. how much will the surround sound bother my neighbors?? Thanks

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I have surround sound with my sound blaster. Not sure of current prices, but as far as you neighbors go, it depends on how loud you turn it up! ;)

3. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Try the Hercules card like the Fortissimo III 7.1 I think its $40-48 great card, great price.

4. cnimbus

cnimbus Banned

The surround sound itself will not bother your neighbors, but the subwoofer will often make them go ballistic, even at low volume. This is especially true if they live below you. The problem can be mitigated quite a bit by using a forward firing subwoofer instead of a downward firing one.

Apartments just aren't a good place for cranked sound systems. The acoustics generally suck and apt. mgt. can be a pain in the a** if goaded by whiny neighbors.

Some kickass headphones might be a good investment. Sennheiser makes some excellent headsets. That way the volume can be cranked through the roof, even at 2 am, and noone will care. Most soundcards come with drivers that will provide 3D sound through headphones. Not as good as a quality speaker-based system, but good for when you are gaming or rocking to some cool tunes.

You might want to try the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Kinda an old model, but still pretty good. They can be found pretty cheap these days.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/187684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice