1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suse 10.2 network problems

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by gurutech, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I seem to be having an issue with my linux PC.. It's a "virtual PC" format, so for the moment I run it on my PC.

I was able to attach it to my Win2003 domain (active directory), but whenever I start up the session, it defaults to logging me in as a "local" user, which is fine, as I can just choose my domain from the dropdown.

The problem is that when I try to login to the domain, it tells me "Login Failed". When I log in as "local", it shows me that the Network Manager is turned off. I have to click on it, then choose the ethernet adapter and force it to get an IP address, which it is able to do with no problems.

If I log off and try to log back in as the domain user, I still get the Login Failed message. It seems like the Network Manager turns back off when I log out.

How can I force the NIC to get the IP address when the system boots up, and keep it until I shutdown?

2. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Are you running SuSe natively on the machine or in a virtual environment, like VIrutalBox or VMWare or something?

Peace...

4. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I'm running it in Virtual PC. My initial thoughts are that it's set not to load at boot, but rather at login. But I can't remember where that option is to change it!

5. RobLinux

RobLinux

Have you configured the network card in YaST, to be enabled on boot? YaST->Hardware->Network Devices

I haven't used VMware, so I don't know exactly what the virtual environment looks like for SuSE, but it is meant to be 'invisible' to the guest OS. In which case configuring in normal way ought to work.

But... may be try a Live CD with persistent disk.

You don't have to install anything, and it auto-configures, you can save settings at end of session in a file in current partition scheme.

Then when you're ready, you can spend a small amount of money on a 2nd disk, which will allow you to backup your main OS, as well as having a System disk for Linux, then configure GRUB so you have SuSE boot menu offering SuSE/Windows/Memory Tester (and actually I have a Space Invaders programmed in 16bit assembler to).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice