1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SuSE 8.1 Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by pastorjim, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pastorjim

pastorjim Thread Starter

A Linux newbie-just installed SuSE 8.1 on Tues. I can't seem to get my internet connection to work.
    I configured my modem for dial-up connection. Entered my SMTP info and POP3 as well. Entered dial up number.
    When I right click the connection icon near my clock the menu appears, I click dial and get a very short "lightning bolt burst" but no connection. What am I missing?

2. trevor1

trevor1

WELCOME TO TSG!!!!!!
    the problem is most likely is that the modem is an un-supported winModem.

3. lynch

lynch

What modem do you have?You can check here to see what winmodems are and are not supported.If your modem is supported you can try to reconfigure it again with YaST2.It may just be an incorrectly typed entry.;)
    HTH
    lynch

4. pastorjim

pastorjim Thread Starter

Hi, Been busy with church today-my modem is 56KV.90 PCI D/F/V Winmodem.

5. trevor1

trevor1

Hello i just got home from church too, go to to the list and check it.

6. pastorjim

pastorjim Thread Starter

Well OK my modem is not supported so I guess that means my SuSE will not get me online without BUYING more stuff, my printer is not supported and now my modem LOL! Thanx

7. trevor1

trevor1

Well, that kinda sux, linu is deffinitly worth buying a new printer/modem, and hey look at it this way, if you buy something new there is always a chance to get something better than u had before:D

8. trevor1

trevor1

Oh, and dont give up!!!!
    heres what your desktop could look like!

9. trevor1

trevor1

10. pastorjim

pastorjim Thread Starter

Trevor, You are right, I am thinking about a new printer/scanner combo so now i have an xcuse. The unit with SuSE is my older one and could use an updating. AMD Athlon 900, 30GB
    Hey can I use my NIC card to connect?

11. trevor1

trevor1

You know u would have to ask lynch, i dont know:confused: :rolleyes:

12. pastorjim

pastorjim Thread Starter

Trevor, the link didn't work for me:eek:

13. trevor1

trevor1

it doesnt soes it? just copy the url and paste it in the navigational bar

14. lynch

lynch

pasterjim,take a look here and scroll down to the "Multifunction" section where they suggest a few models that seem to work in Linux.You can also go through the printer configuration process in order to access the model list in YaST2 to see if any machines that have caught your eye are listed there.I see a couple Epson models need the 2.4.21 kernel or better.You can type:
    uname -r
    to find out what kernel you have but I use 8.1 myself and the standard kernel version is 2.4.19-4GB
    You would need to buy equipment that costs more than a new hardware modem to achieve a ppp connection using your existing NIC,so I would say get a modem that's hardware-based.
    HTH
    lynch

15. E-Quality

E-Quality

pastorJim,

the link works .. just remove the double http: in front of the address bar.

second, yes you can use peer to peer to get connected. Just like connection sharing in windows. Not sure how mandrake works but pretty much the same as my Red Hat i guess. Just make sure you have the same workgroup name between the machines.

good luck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice