1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SuSE 8.1 Personal

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Coma Black, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coma Black

Coma Black Thread Starter

Hello.

I got linux yesterday, installed it, and it can't detect my modem, or printer, and I don't know what to do..

I've never been experience with linux, but I'm a fast learner, and in need of help.

My modem is:

Generic SOFTK56 attached to COM 3

I actually installed linux, I'm very bored with windows xp and want to try something new. I couldn't figure out how to make it detect my modem, which is a big concern to me.

and

my printer is:

Lexmark x83

Thanks please write back

joe

2. lynch

lynch

Sounds like you have a winmodem and a winprinter.Lexmarks have little support in linux.Good choice of distro:) I use it too.
    lynch

3. codejockey

codejockey

I agree with Lynch -- you likely have a Winmodem. However, www.linmodems.org has a wealth of information about making your Winmodem work with Linux. It won't be as easy as configuring a "real" (i.e., hardware) modem, but it can be done.

You should definitely check out www.linuxprinting.org for info about getting your printer to work with Linux (although I did not see your model mentioned in a quick check, it may be similar to other models whose drivers may work for yours -- worth a try, anyway).

Hope this helps.

4. Coma Black

5. Coma Black

Infact, this is my modem:

Conexant HSF V.92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice