1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suse 9

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Dre0745, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dre0745

Dre0745 Thread Starter

Hi everyone... sup?
    Well, I tried to run Suse 9 on a Pentium 133Mhz, 80MB RAM, 1.6GB HD...
    What I'm doing is install it over Win98 SE... Should I erase completly the HD before trying to install it? or does Suse do that when it installs itself?
    Ok, so when I tried to install Suse9, i got this error "Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,5)" and the computer just freezes when it gets there...
    Any idea of what is going on? This is the first time I'm ever gonna use Linux... hehe, so I don't know anything about it :D
    Thanks a lot for any answers

Dre0745

2. Xeran

Xeran

well, for awhile I was running SuSE 9.1 and I left windows on there. Boy did I regret not deleting EVERYTHING in my harddrive.

So what I did was deleting everyhting and just reinstall SuSE again.

I can't really help you with your mounting problem. It might be something with the BIOS. I am not sure :D

3. Chicon

Chicon

4. Dre0745

Dre0745 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for you answers (y)
    I'm going erase all the data on the HD and then I'm gonna do the other thing on Suse webpages and I'll get back to you with the results
    Thanks a lot for your answer and the link (y) :)

Dre0745

5. Dre0745

Dre0745 Thread Starter

Hi...
    Well I formated the HD, so it's empty now, and I went on and tried installing Suse 9, but I came up with the same problem, so I went to the link, and tried looking for what it says... but I can't find any window where I could type the amount of RAM I have, which is about 80MB :D
    Any ideas?
    Thanks (y)

6. mowo

mowo

Hi,

Novell has the HW req's for Suse 9.1 on their site. It isn't that far off from 9.0.

http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/prof/system_requirements.html

If you're using graphics mode, you need the 128MB of RAM. I am running 9.0 on a PIII 450Mhz with the RAM maxed out at 256MB and it absolutely crawls. I mean it is sooooooo slooooooooow.

You need a leaner distro or some new hardware...

7. Dre0745

Dre0745 Thread Starter

Hehe... yea, I think I have to throw away that computer... it's just tooooo old, hehe... even for linux :D .
    Well, I think I'll have to try to get a PII or PIII with at least 256MB :rolleyes:
    hehe, but hey, I think it's worth the stability you get from it right? The thing is, I want to try to get a server running, so that's one of the reasons why I chose Linux in the 1st place... stability. The second reasons, it does not need the newest things to run smoothly as windows :D .
    So, what would you recommend to get a server running with Linux, what hardware should I get? How much memory? HD?
    Ok, that's it.
    Thanks a lot :)
    Cya

Dre0745

8. dago

dago

Linux is great depending the use your going to have.
    If your computer is going to be a server (for what?) I'm going to assume you're not considering best resources: games, doc editors, multimedia, etc.

I mean, servers use to have their implementations very oriented and that means different thoughts: for instance, no X -- only command-line.

So, if you need a printer server, or a file warehouse, or even a web/ftp server, perhaps a router/firewall for sure your config is nice.

Now, if your computer is going to be a desktop, that changes things.
    I had a computer like yours. My config was
    k6-2 300MHz
    64MB DIMM RAM - RAS PC66
    6GB disk
    onboard video and sound

I decided to maximize things, so now I have
    k6-III 450MHz
    256MB DIMM RAM - CAS PC100
    80GB disk
    128MB Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
    onboard sound

My computer is able to play DVDs now -- my target.
    Now I'm pretty happy expending $300 to do everything I need without buying a whole new system.

-----------------
    The crappy problem you got -- kernel panic stuff -- that really sucks and it's very difficult to say precisely what is.

In my case, I turned off APM at BIOS and worked!

You could also try a different distribution. Particulary me, I didn't like Suse because it was some hard to get my video card working, and it's still weird now.

Hope it helps.

9. saikee

saikee

Personally I think the 1.6Gb Hdd is too small to hold any full size Linux like Suse.

10. dago

dago

saikee,
    you´re right unless you don´t install GNOME, KDE, WindowMaker, Enlightenment, etc and their children (OpenOffice, etc) -- in one word: no X applications. Perhaps a little further work is needed...

I got that experience in a 640MB hard disk. The biggest issue was memory (16MB), I had to turn on swap before installation. Anything bellow 128MB memory demands that.

If the configuration is so old, installation using RPM cannot be made, but is still possible to use source code and get a fully functional system - limited, of course!

My firewall/router is still up, the last time I checked it was like 1 year non-stop!

Linux is power!!

11. dago

dago

12. Dre0745

Dre0745 Thread Starter

Hi... well my goal is a Web server...
    I would not have any other applications apart from those needed to run the server (Apache).
    So, from what I've seen, I should try to get some upgrade (mayb 128-256RAM, at least 6GB)...
    Dago... one year non-stop :eek: , that's awsome, hehe, you can't get windows XP to get to run for 1 month before you have to restart it :p , hehe, and thanks for the link, I'm reading it right now.
    I wouldn't really like to mess around with the source code since I don't know anything about Linux, this is the first time I'm going to use Linux. And already trying to get a server from it it's a lot for me, hehe ;)
    Thanks to everyone for your answers (y) :)
    Bye

13. mowo

mowo

The second reasons, it does not need the newest things to run smoothly as windows . So, what would you recommend to get a server running with Linux, what hardware should I get? How much memory? HD?

Like it has been said, it all depends. SuSE linux professional with all the bells and whistles can use up a lot more resources than some minimal Win2k setup.
    I am not an expert and the SuSE control center makes administering the machine pretty easy. If you haven't used linux before, you probably want a "desktop" (KDE or Gnome) to get you started.

That said, don't spend too much on an upgrade until you see what you can get for your money nowadays. Search for yourself, but my friend sells nice systems for as low as 369USD.

http://www.industrialflowerfactory.com/products/browse.php?t=1

Good luck and happy hacking,
    mowo

14. Dre0745

Dre0745 Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the link... I might be able to get a better computer for free.. I have to see..
    Thanks a lot for your answers!
    Bye

Dre0745

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice