1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SuSe Linux 7.0 Pro and Samtron 77v monitor

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jscerb, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jscerb

jscerb Thread Starter

I am trying to install SuSe linux 7.0 pro and I get to the 'select your monitor' screen. My monitor is not on the list, so I type in its specs. I click next. I then select a resolution and click test. The screen flickers black, and then comes back to the same screen. I try to click next and it says "Please test your selected resolution."

The only resolution it kind of tests on is 640X400 at 8bit. But even then there are a bunch of streaks through out the screen. I have a ASUS GeForce 4 Ti 4200 graphics card.

I am new to linux. Thank you for your help!

Jared

2. lynch

lynch

That video card isnt supported by SuSE 7.0.It came out long after that release of
    SuSE.You need to upgrade alot of stuff(kernel,WM,XFree86 server etc) and it would be easier to install a more recent version of Linux.
    List the rest of your computer specs and someone can tell you what version would work best.
    lynch

3. jscerb

jscerb Thread Starter

I was suspecting that. What is the latest version of SuSe linux? Or is there any other types of linux you reccomend?

To update the kernel an such do i have to install linux 7.0 first?

System specs:

Shuttle AK32A mobo
    Athlon XP 2000+
    256 DDR PC 2100
    ASUS GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    Samtron 77v monitor

Thank you for your help,

Jared

4. lynch

lynch

Your comp should run any of the latest releases:
    Mandrake 9.1 and Redhat 9 are free downloads;SuSE 8.2 is not.
    There are other free distributions out there.
    HTH
    lynch

5. jscerb

jscerb Thread Starter

I got Mandrake 9.1 from a friend. It installs fine and everything works but the sound.

I have a Sound Blaster Live!. Mandrake assinged it an Audigy driver and I see no Live! drivers to change to. I dont know if you can help with this problem, but you certainly helped with the first one!

Thank you!

6. lynch

lynch

Before you do anything else, open a mixer and check the levels;sound is muted by default .
    lynch

7. jscerb

jscerb Thread Starter

u were right, everything was muted, but still no sound

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice