1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suse Linux 9.1 (64-bit) sound problem.

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Xeper, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xeper

Xeper Thread Starter

Sys specs:
    AMD64: 3000+
    512mb ddr333 RAM
    Asus K8V-Deluxe motherboard
    GF4 ti 4200 videocard.
    120 gb hitachi s-ata hdd.
    Running suse linux 9.1 x86-64

Ok now you know the system specs I'll start by defining the problem.

When I start up my computer Linux starts fine, but the master volume OR the PCM volume are set to 0. THus no sound, when I load the sound device module (with Suse plugger) i can set the volume to 100 again. But when I press next it goes back to 0 again. But strangly enough when I press Cancel is stays at 100. I am pretty new to linux but I am not a complete newb ;). The soundcard in question is integrated on the motherboard and suse sees it as a VT8233/A/8235 AC97 sound device and uses the driver modules: Driver Info: snd-via686,snd-via8233.

I hope I have provided enough information to help resolve the problems. I am using KDE 3.2. Can anyone help me fix the problem? If I haven't provided enough information PLMK.

Cheers,

Xeep

ps: yes I have "RTFM" and "STFW", also I have moderate knowledge of Linux in a terminal environment.

2. tsunam

tsunam

have you tried from the terminal doing alsamixer? also have you made sure that you did a alsamixer master 100 unmute (not sure about the exact command string but you need to do those as well. Since default for sound in linux is to be muted.

3. Xeper

Xeper Thread Starter

I found the problem myself by accident :D It is fixed and this can be closed.

4. lynch

lynch

How about not closing it but instead have a mod mark it as SOLVED after you post how you fixed it?
    That would help others with a similiar problem. :)
    lynch

5. Xeper

Xeper Thread Starter

Okay, thats a better idea. I am unfamiliar with TSG netiquette.

This is how I fixed it.

I opened a terminal and set all the volumes to a desired amount using alsamixer.

Then I went into control panel > sound and multimedia > Mixer

and hit the save current Volumes button. This fixed the problem for me.

Again I am using KDE 3.2

Cheers

Xeper

6. lynch

lynch

Thanks! :D
    lynch

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice