SuSE USB Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

globb

Hi, I've recently installed SuSE 10 on my laptop, and appears to be working fine except for the USB. I have a Logitech wireless mouse that worked fine with windows and throughout the installation of Linux from the DVD, but once Linux boots up normally all USB functionality is lost. Judging from power lights on USB devices, I can tell that USB is active from the time I power the computer on, right up until the scrolling linux boot text just about ends and the desktop comes up. Then all power shuts down on them(I'm referring to my mouse receiver and a Turtle Beach USB sound dongle). USB controllers show up in the hardware information utility, it just appears to be disabled. Also, the Monitor USB Devices utility is not functional. I really like Linux so far, and I hope I can get this working. Thanks for your help.

globb

I'm pretty sure I've found the root of the problem. The Hotplug package is missing. A query in the console doesn't return anything(rpm -q -a | grep -i hotplug). The package doesn't show up in YaSt anywhere. Does anyone know how to get it? Thanks

Should try to use a PS2 mouse to get it running first.

Then try to use Yast, Suse's configurator, to configure the mouse in the desktop or run "xorgconfig" at the terminal.

globb

I can still use the touch pad on my laptop, so it's functional, I just can't use any of the USB ports. It's not the mouse config, but the actual USB. I need that hotplug package, but can't seem to find it anywhere. It doesn't appear anywhere in YaST, including online update.

The hotplug package tells Xorg which driver to use. It has failed. To override the Linux's choice is to reconfigure it again via Yast or Xorg.conf.

If you wait for the failed hotplug to get it right you may have to wait for a year of two.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online